Which bike to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Khandoattitude

Hey guys,

New to this forum, you guys can call me Khan (I’m from Birmingham). By day, I work at a post office, by night I dress up as a bat and fight crime…I wish…

Anyway, with Black Friday deals here (and the surprisingly timely death of my mountain bike), I’m looking for a more robust Road Bike. I've been saving up for a while so money isn't too much of an issue.

My requirements:

· Needs to be able to handle around 15 miles a day (I cycle to and from gym/work daily)
· Dropbar Handles
· Needs to be a solid build, I don’t mind spending a bit of £££ but I want my bike to last!
· Weight isn’t too much of a turn off, but the lower the better

Previously, I bought some generic mountain bike from Halfords. Can’t even begin to tell you how many problems I faced. After a while, it felt like I was spending more time on repairs than actually riding it…

My mate recommended his bike which is http://www.rouxbikes.co.uk/vercors-c9/ (doesn’t seem too bad, £500 off). Also found a few good reviews online

I trust his recommendation, but I’m also looking at other things such as:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike this also seems to have decent reviews (from a few peer and online -plus it's on sale)

I’ve also heard a good amount of positives about “Specialized” cycles too

Can anyone tell me if I’m “steering” in the right direction?

PS, need to know ASAP as black Friday deals will end soon

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's rare to go wrong with a Boardman, but get a knowledgeable mate to do a basic safety check before you ride it because occasionally-but-too-often-for-my-liking Half-odds screw up (still let them build and check it too, though). Decathlon is another big chain with fairly decent bikes, if you have a branch near you.

I don't like Specialized. I don't like the styles and I don't like the company's habit of suing anything that moves and I don't like it turning a blind eye when a dealer used topless body-painted women to open a shop.

Personally I like independents and locals. Roux sounds like it's local to you (I've not heard of them before, as far as I can remember) and John Lewis rarely work with lemons, so it might be worth a go. My main concern is that it looks like it's not in shops anywhere and the C9 is described as a lightweight race-ready bike, which doesn't really match up with your desire for "more robust". The spec looked OK as far as it went. It might be that one of their other models is a good match, but it's hard to tell unless you ride them.

Maybe someone who knows the shops near you will be along shortly, but there's a few thoughts to start off!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Khan and welcome. So you've got about a grand to spend and you're looking for a bike for your commute.

First off forget about black Friday its just hype. Good deals will always be available. Try to forget about x% off and look at the bike and what it offers, its more important to get what's right for you.

The two bikes you've listed are very different animals. The Boardman is a CX standing for cyclo cross, with a Ali frame and a single chainwheel and a wide range cassette. CX bikes are often sold as 'adventure' bikes able to cope with rough paths and off road routes.

The Roux is a out and out road bike with a carbon frame and very light. It wont be able to tackle the same terrain as the Boardman. Either will be a complete revelation compared to your MTBs. My advice would be to go and try them if you can, you'll soon see what appeals and suits

Good luck.

Last edited:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
My advice would be to find your local bike shop and try a few out. I got my bike on the Internet and it's fine but I've built up a rapport with my bike shop and don't think I'd get the same type of service elsewhere.

I think Halfords is OK providing someone else has a check of the bike too but your local bike shop will probably try harder to win your business and get you out there on the right bike.

GOAB

stalagmike

Enormous member
I can only echo what cyclops says above. If this is your first drop bar bike then I would recommend getting to a shop and trying a few out. For a really robust bike you might consider steel framed road bikes like genesis croix de fer.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think Halfords is OK providing someone else has a check of the bike too but your local bike shop will probably try harder to win your business and get you out there on the right bike.

GOAB

Good point, I forgot to mention when you go into Halfords you might have to take pot luck, so you'll get something like 'our real bike expert is Kevin but he's not on today', its a bit like that but your local shop will tend to be more clued up.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

@Khandoattitude to give you a better idea you are welcome to come and try mine if ever passing its a 2014 yr model and a 54cm frame which seems to be about right for me at 5ft 10"

Top Bottom