Which bike to choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
In a couple of weeks time, I'm cycling down to Southampton from Bristol, camping overnight, then catching the ferry with some friends to cycle around the Isle of Wight. My friends are being sensible and driving down, but I spent the winter assembling lightweight-ish camping kit for various bikepacking adventures that never happened because of Covid. So this is the only time I'll really get to test it out. But I'm debating which bike to take. On one hand, I have my lovely 105 equipped carbon bike (50/34, 11-28) that is lightweight and is my best bike. It really is a lovely ride, however not suitable fully loaded with lots of climbing. But the route I plotted has roughly 3000 feet of climbing over 83 miles, and nothing categorised. My other bike is a felt aluminium cross bike, which is a slightly heavier tiara equipped bike (46/30, 11-34) and has hydro disc brakes, and 32mm tubeless tyres (would obviously still bring spares). I'm torn between the two. While it's only an overnight trip, it's not much lighter than what I would take for several days, if at all as I would just wash my kit every other day. So if you were me, which bike would you take?

Assuming the Felt's ride is nice-but-not-quite-as-nice-as-the-other-bike nice, I'd take the Felt. I love the IoW and I'd want to be able to enjoy the views rather than worrying about running out of gears or stopping power. Top up the tubeless sealant and, fingers crossed, that should be the last of your.... gah, I'm not going to say it ^_^

not sure if this will help but i have a genesis equilibrium and a Croix de Fer. ive loaded both with bike packing kit and the CDF is a much better bet. the larger tyres and slightly lower gearing also help.

I would imagine you know which one you should take but want to take your best bike cos its your best bike but is it the best one for the job in hand?

whichever you choose, dont forget to look up and enjoy the views.

all the best for your trip.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I would take the Felt, as it is better suited, and if you are going to load the bicycle up with gear for an overnight tour, the carbon fiber may be less of a factor. I have an old aluminum Dawes (which is a bicycle sold by Bikes Direct or something) that does a fine job on such adventures. It is also my main winter bicycle.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Whilst on the IoW are you carrying your camping gear around with you? If so, then I would go for the Felt with the more realistic gearing. However, if you are dumping your gear and chasing everyone else on their lightweights, then the Carbon it is.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Whilst on the IoW are you carrying your camping gear around with you? If so, then I would go for the Felt with the more realistic gearing. However, if you are dumping your gear and chasing everyone else on their lightweights, then the Carbon it is.
Gear will be stashed in my mate's car for the return journey home.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Some of the roads on the island are bumpy - be careful not to lose your tiara.
bloody autocorrect

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
I've decided on the felt. Tomorrow is the test day on my commute. Here's George
20200812_194204.jpg
all loaded up.

Top Bottom