Which bike would you choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nessert

I am a college student, and i want to start commute cycling. I live in Costa Rica and i want to buy a used bicycle. Here we have lots of hills and the roads are so so. Which of this three bicycles would you choose and why?

(note: i am a 23 years old women and about 1.60 meters tall)

This one is $120
b1.png

This one is $154
b3.png

Aaand finally this one is $110
b2.png

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless the roads are utter bomb sites i'd be inclined towards the middle one. Lightest, most efficient to pedal, likely the fastest.

It's hard to tell from the photos but the other two look like cheap and nasty jobs, and the suspension forks probably do little other than sap your energy and weigh a lot. Anyway, who'd want to ride a bike named after a TV detective with bandy legs and a moustache?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
All three bikes look suitably geared for hills but I would avoid both bikes with front suspension, if you are cycling on roads, even poor ones you really don't need suspension as it ads weight and saps energy.
So I would go for the Raleigh.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes middle one, front suspension, especially cheap front suspension, is just a heavy hinderance. The tyres will soak up the bumps on your so so road OK.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'll join the consensus and agree that the middle bike without the cheap shoddy suspension would be the obvious choice, except it does look a bit short/cramped in the cockpit area. I am not sure if it is the bike geometry at fault or it just has a ridiculously short/steep stem fitted (the bit that hold the handlebars). You would definitely need to ride the bike first and make sure you were comfortable controlling the bike around corners and stuff before handing over any money. It may just need a different stem to sort it out if needed but this might be a bargaining thing you could use against the seller?

Brand X

The Raleigh requires a new pair of pedals, but I would choose the Raleigh. I do not recognize the "Magnum", but Raleigh is a reliable brand.

As Skol says, make certain the bike FITS. And if it is the correct size, spend time setting it up to be perfect; adjust the height/position of the saddle & handlebars. When you first start riding you may prefer the saddle to be low, but as you gain experience, you may prefer the saddle much higher.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You all think that the raleigh is best even if it is from 1994?
Yes, basically even though the Raleigh is older it will be a better quality bike and much more suited to your requirements. Both Magnum bikes are cheap heavy rubbish, they will not last.
Household waste sites around the UK are full of Magnum type bikes that have been discarded.

Last edited:
Top Bottom