Which bike ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levad

Veteran
again!

I know it has been asked before but opinions change :smile:. I am on the verge of being "allowed" a new bike :ohmy:. I ride 13 miles to work, country B roads and unclassified. I have narrowed down my choice to a Dawes Galaxy and a Giant SCR 2. I know that there is quite a big difference in price, does the Dawes justify the extra cost? Are the components better on one over the other?

Thanks!

simoncc

They are different types of bike. The Dawes is the better one for you. It has mudguards, bigger, more puncture resistant tyres and will be able to carry a pannier better as it has a rack and stonger wheels. The Dawes is an ideal commuter bike. The Giant is a nice road bike.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The SCR2 does have the clearance and eyelets for guards and panniers if you wanted to fit them - it was one of the reasons I opted for it over a Trek or a Specialized, which didn't.

I've no experience of the Dawes, so I'll leave that to those who do to advise !

MERV

3tlncw.png

I bought a Dawes Audax 2006 as well as a Dawes Audax 2007 a year later...

The 2006 model has been fantastic a great success story.

Haven't rode the 2007 yet.Haven't needed to.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Both are good bikes. The question is, how much weight do you need to carry and how fast you want to go?
The SCR is the lighter, sprightlier option that will take a rack for light load carrying (not full touring weights, but easily enough for Audax and commuting) and will take 26mm tyres with Mudguards. It's comfortable and no slouch on a club training night either. The Galaxy would take you around the world fully loaded. It's very comfortable and stable but heavier and less lively to ride than the SCR. Don't get me wrong, the Galaxy is a classic.

For my money with a 13 mile commute I'd tend to go for the cheaper SCR option UNLESS your route is rough/bumpy as country roards often are, then the extra compliance of the Galaxy might just sway me. In Town with lots of stop-start and generally smoother roads I'd certainly go SCR for the extra fun.

Plax

Guru
No experience of an SCR, but I've recently bought a Dawes Ultra Galaxy and I'm loving it. Even with a rack and bag it's faster than my hybrid. It takes a really bad road surface well at approx 38-41mph downhill too ;)

Ranger

I had much the same decision to make for a 12 mile commute and eventually plumped for the SCR and have been using it for the last week after fitting mudguards with a pannier rack to go on shortly.

I am very happy with it, it takes the odd pothole better than my hybrid did (it doesn't seem to crash in and out but flow over them) and my god is it light compared to my old bike.

The only weakness is apparantly the wheels which are meant to be prone to breaking spokes if you are a larger rider, but have a look at goo masons, http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13072 posts about his replacements.

Top Bottom