Which Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Axendel

First time posting, but am struggling to come to a decision on a new road bike for the warmer months.

For a bit of history, I have previously ridden a Cube 2017 SL Race Peloton and now a Cube SUV Hybrid ebike for commuting. I realise that the former was a 53cm frame, and being around 5'11 this was too small so would explain why I always found the angle a bit odd.

I am currently debating between a couple of models:

• Boardman Elite SLR 9.0
  • Giant Defy Advanced 3
  • Scott Speedster 10 Disc
The above are all within a £1600 budget, and ideally I'm looking for disc brakes and a Shimano 105 or better.

I just want to garner some thoughts to any willing to provide them, and other recommendations?

Three quite different bikes.
Boardman is the lightest from what I read, 28mm tires and SRAM components,
53 teeth chainring, should be fast, do you want fast, do you want those narrow
tires, because wider ones may not fit.

The Scott, wider tires, 11 speed, in house parts and a bit heavier, BUT disc brakes.
Might be the best balance of speed braking and comfort.

The Giant is Tiagra based, can’t see a weight advertised, has 25mm tires,
disk brakes too, you really need to look into what your needing most,
speed, comfort, stopping power.
Also fit would be crucial, I know medium in one brand could be wildly different
than in another. Geometry needs to be looked at, do you want a low racy
or more endurance bike.
The Scott is Aluminium frame, Boardman is Carbon, Giant is composites, whatever that is.

Too many unknown variables to suggest one over the other.

Last edited:
There are good second hand bikes around too to consider.
Canyon Endurace or Ultimate Carbon or Aluminium models are well
kitted out bikes, online purchase only though.

Do you want to race, do group rides, or enjoy and see the sights as you pass,
knowing what you plan on using the bike for would make suggestions easier.

CXRAndy

Guru
Just to confuse you more. Do you want a pure road bike or a multi discipline bike.

The reason I ask is, I see loads and loads of posts asking how to get bigger tyres on their (usually road) bikes.

By buying a gravel or touring bike, with upto 40 mm tyres, you can then change tyres to narrow or keep the larger more comfy tyres. Bigger tyres are no slower on UK roads, because they are invariably poor surface. A large tyre floats, absorbs bumps on poor surfaces whilst narrow tyres are faster only on super smooth tarmac.

Gravel/touring bikes come with discs standard these days. Just buy hydraulic brakes.

Gearing get a bike with adventure crank 48/32 or 46/30 with an 11-34 cassette. These ratios will have you getting up all gradients.

Kajjal

Guru
The above would be worth considering, my diverge has 38mm tyres currently so it can go on / off road easily enough. If I fitted smaller tyres it would be more like a road bike but with easier and wider range of gears 48 /32 & 11-34.

Top Bottom