Which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rock bus

Über Member
Apologies if been asked hundreds of time but looking for up to date advice on bikes
I’m minded (ie haven’t told wife yet!) to get some sort of ‘adventure’ bike.
Basically something I can use for some trail rides, some touring (building up to Lejog one day) and some camping trips.
After some recommendations on what bike? Not even sure if go with gravel bike, cyclocross or tourer or just switch out tyres on mtb or road bike?

Planet X Tempest gravel bike will do it all. I might be biased tho.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
An old hard tail MTB will do the job on road tyres but if you want new or secondhand gravel/adventure there’s a load of options out there. Been loads of discussions on here about them so use the search function.

Sharky

Guru
If the ultimate aim is camping, touring and LeJog, then regardless of the marketing category (road, gravel, touring etc), focus on the load carrying options/brazed on mounts for luggage racks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If the ultimate aim is camping, touring and LeJog, then regardless of the marketing category (road, gravel, touring etc), focus on the load carrying options/brazed on mounts for luggage racks.

This^^^^^

I did lejog on a Kona road bike running rear pannier, 32mm tyres and mudguards. It has a carbon front fork with zero luggage options so if I had wanted more carrying capacity it would have been tricky.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have a 1990s steel MTB that cost £25 and can do everything; they are a great option if you are mechanically minded and are out to travel, rather than impress others.

si_c

Guru
In your budget, I'd suggest taking a look at the Boardman ADV 8.9 from Halfords - it's an adventure road focussed bike, so Hydraulic Disc brakes, very low gearing as it's Shimano GRX and it can fit panniers and mudguards and it's within the budget you set out for the cycle to work scheme.

OP
OP
R

Rock bus

Über Member
In your budget, I'd suggest taking a look at the Boardman ADV 8.9 from Halfords - it's an adventure road focussed bike, so Hydraulic Disc brakes, very low gearing as it's Shimano GRX and it can fit panniers and mudguards and it's within the budget you set out for the cycle to work scheme.

Very tempted by this…if it is ever in stock!

Top Bottom