Which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If you do your homework and buy used you'll potentially get a very good touring bike for your budget - used prices of bikes seems to be coming down, especially the less fashionable older / steel / touring type stuff.

Personally I like Genesis and they potentially cover both ends of you needs with the Croix de Fer (more gravel / adventure) and Tour de Fer (more touring oriented), however being fairly modern and trendy prices are still fairly robust.

If you're happy with something older and more touring-centric the Dawes Galaxy is well regarded (if available in a bewildering arry of specs spanning decades - some better than others), while less-well-known domestic offerings from SPA and Thorn are worth looking out for. There's also the Ridgeback Panorama, Claude Butler Dalesman, Surly LHT and crosscheck; while Kona stuff always looks nice.

I've just bought a 2016 Fuji Touring for not a lot of money - a relatively budget offering but I'm really impressed. One of the same spec, nicer nick but fewer accessories sold yesterday on ebay for £275 :smile:

I trust you're only looking at steel..? :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rock bus

Über Member
Think the boardman 8.9 adr gravel bike.looks idea, but lack of availability and sizing may be an issue
At 5ft 10 I shoukd be looking at medium size But bit confused as frame is only c54 and my road bike is a 56.

I’ve tried a large and it does feel a stretch but “doable’ but this just might because thar one is for sale at decent price?

Anyone have this bike and can advise or any general advice on whether should size up or down for a gravel bike?

si_c

Guru
Think the boardman 8.9 adr gravel bike.looks idea, but lack of availability and sizing may be an issue
At 5ft 10 I shoukd be looking at medium size But bit confused as frame is only c54 and my road bike is a 56.

I’ve tried a large and it does feel a stretch but “doable’ but this just might because thar one is for sale at decent price?

Anyone have this bike and can advise or any general advice on whether should size up or down for a gravel bike?

If you feel stretched out on a bike, it's too big for you, sorry. Gravel bikes have a much more relaxed geometry than road bikes, so should feel more upright and comfortable. I'd suggest holding out for a medium.

Unfortunately frame sizes are somewhat disconnected now from their origins, so a 54 for one frame may well be the same as 56 for a different frame. It's better to think of them as relative sizes rather than absolute, it's always best to try the bike on for size so to speak, which you've already done.

OP
OP
R

Rock bus

Über Member
If you feel stretched out on a bike, it's too big for you, sorry. Gravel bikes have a much more relaxed geometry than road bikes, so should feel more upright and comfortable. I'd suggest holding out for a medium.

Unfortunately frame sizes are somewhat disconnected now from their origins, so a 54 for one frame may well be the same as 56 for a different frame. It's better to think of them as relative sizes rather than absolute, it's always best to try the bike on for size so to speak, which you've already done.

I know your right ….just impatient!

Top Bottom