Which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

urbanfatboy

Über Member
I've not found a 'which bike should i buy' section, so I figured I'd start here. I'm in the process of getting rid of my 'oooh! i like that!' bikes with the intention of buying a sensible bike for pulling the kids around on. I don't really want to spend more than £300ish. At that price there are a few passable road bikes, Dawes 300, decathlon are two that come to mind. but given that it will really be a bit of workhorse, i figured a tourer might be a better idea. my idea of a tourer being somehting like Galaxy or so. Something a bit more robust than a road bike. Can i get an entry level tourer for that kind of price? I want drop bars and STI shifters, not too worried about level of spec, so long it is not too rubbish. Any ideas / suggestions? I'd rather nor have the 'spend an extra £100' type suggestion, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Does anyone know the Dawes Horizon? or is the EBC Revolution cross a better buy?

simoncc

The Dawes Horizon is a good touring bike. So is the Edinburgh Cycles equivalent, and Raleigh have reintroduced the Royal too. Unfortunately they all cost about £400. If you can't stretch to £400 try to get a secondhand one. A road bike is not much use as a general workhorse. They often don't have clearance for mudgards, their thin tyres are more prone to punctures and they don't have such strong wheels as a tourer, which is important if you want to carry heavy shopping in a pannier.

OP
OP
U

urbanfatboy

Über Member
simoncc said:
The Dawes Horizon is a good touring bike. So is the Edinburgh Cycles equivalent, and Raleigh have reintroduced the Royal too. Unfortunately they all cost about £400. If you can't stretch to £400 try to get a secondhand one. A road bike is not much use as a general workhorse. They often don't have clearance for mudgards, their thin tyres are more prone to punctures and they don't have such strong wheels as a tourer, which is important if you want to carry heavy shopping in a pannier.

Which is the EBC equivalent? Is that the Cross?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
urbanfatboy said:
I've not found a 'which bike should i buy' section, so I figured I'd start here. I'm in the process of getting rid of my 'oooh! i like that!' bikes with the intention of buying a sensible bike for pulling the kids around on. I don't really want to spend more than £300ish. At that price there are a few passable road bikes, Dawes 300, decathlon are two that come to mind. but given that it will really be a bit of workhorse, i figured a tourer might be a better idea. my idea of a tourer being somehting like Galaxy or so. Something a bit more robust than a road bike. Can i get an entry level tourer for that kind of price? I want drop bars and STI shifters, not too worried about level of spec, so long it is not too rubbish. Any ideas / suggestions? I'd rather nor have the 'spend an extra £100' type suggestion, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Does anyone know the Dawes Horizon? or is the EBC Revolution cross a better buy?

Spa Cycles in Harrogate have some 53cm framed 2007 Horizons on offer at £320.

www.spacycles.co.uk

Top Bottom