1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which bike?

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by urbanfatboy, 5 Apr 2008.

1. urbanfatboy

urbanfatboy Über Member

I've not found a 'which bike should i buy' section, so I figured I'd start here. I'm in the process of getting rid of my 'oooh! i like that!' bikes with the intention of buying a sensible bike for pulling the kids around on. I don't really want to spend more than £300ish. At that price there are a few passable road bikes, Dawes 300, decathlon are two that come to mind. but given that it will really be a bit of workhorse, i figured a tourer might be a better idea. my idea of a tourer being somehting like Galaxy or so. Something a bit more robust than a road bike. Can i get an entry level tourer for that kind of price? I want drop bars and STI shifters, not too worried about level of spec, so long it is not too rubbish. Any ideas / suggestions? I'd rather nor have the 'spend an extra £100' type suggestion, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Does anyone know the Dawes Horizon? or is the EBC Revolution cross a better buy?

2. simoncc

simoncc New Member

The Dawes Horizon is a good touring bike. So is the Edinburgh Cycles equivalent, and Raleigh have reintroduced the Royal too. Unfortunately they all cost about £400. If you can't stretch to £400 try to get a secondhand one. A road bike is not much use as a general workhorse. They often don't have clearance for mudgards, their thin tyres are more prone to punctures and they don't have such strong wheels as a tourer, which is important if you want to carry heavy shopping in a pannier.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

What touring bikes are there for the £600 range Simon?

Is there a lot of difference between a tourer and a cross bike, except perhaps for wheels and rack/guards mounts?

4. OP
    OP
    urbanfatboy

urbanfatboy Über Member

Which is the EBC equivalent? Is that the Cross?

5. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Possibly the Country Revolution

here

6. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Spa Cycles in Harrogate have some 53cm framed 2007 Horizons on offer at £320.

www.spacycles.co.uk

7. OP
    OP
    urbanfatboy

urbanfatboy Über Member

oh boo! 53 cm is too small!

8. Muddyfox

Muddyfox Veteran

I've been having a look at that one as i cant decide whether to stick to my MTB or switch to something more suited to road work ?

Simon