Which bottom bracket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcb2080

I am looking to replace my bottom bracket as I think it has gone, as it just keeps clicking with every pedal rotation.

My dilemma is which bottom bracket?

My bike is a 2008 ridgeback nemesis with alfine gear hub which has a shimano hollowtech 2 bc 1.37 x 24 bottom bracket. When I stick this into google I get lots of different bb's.

Is there a specific one for my bike or are all the ones listed in google the correct one but just different prices due to cheap through to better quality ones?

Some of the info on the bottom brackets talk about shell size, could this be a factor?

Is there any other info I need to know before purchasing?

Thanks

Mark

PpPete

Legendary Member
If thread is 1.37 x 24 (aka "English thread") then your shell size is 68 mm.

The other issue in conventional BBs is the spindle length, but in Hollowtech II that issue goes away because the spindle comes attached to the RH Crank.

I've only just equipped one bike with Hollowtech II so I'm not to well up on any compatibility issues between models. Someone will be along shortly with right info I'm sure.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Thanks for the reply porkypete, I am in two minds as to what to do.

I phoned a couple of shops who will charge £10 to fit a bb for me, I quite liked the idea of doing it myself but the required tool would cost me more than £10.

The shops also said if I get the bb changed at service time then their would be no labour charge as they would be inspecting the bb area anyway.

Maybe just treat my bike to a wee service.

Thanks

battered

Guru
That seems fair. A BB is a 10 minute job so doing it for free as part of a service is reasonable and decent customer service. Just check they won't lift your leg too far on the price of the new part.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

battered said:
That seems fair. A BB is a 10 minute job so doing it for free as part of a service is reasonable and decent customer service. Just check they won't lift your leg too far on the price of the new part.

Yeah, I will be asking which one they will be fitting and I will do a search of the usual cycling stores on line, as long as price is within £5 then I will go for it, if too dear they will not get my business;)

Cheers

Top Bottom