Which brake pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi,

I am commuting on a V Brake equiped flat bar road bike. The brakes seem to be generic V brakes, so I am wondering which pads to replace them with.

domtyler

Über Member
Swiss Stop green or KoolStop Salmon/Black.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Koolstop Salmon.

I got salmon for the front and black for the back, but TBH I'm really disappointed in the black. No stopping power at all. They'll only stop me if I'm doing under 4mph and still take a while at that. (Pads are uncontaminated as are the rims, and the pads are striking the rims correctly and at the right distance.) The bog standard pads that came with the bike were simply light-years ahead in stopping power.

Delighted with the salmons on the front wheel though - excellent performance, even in the wet.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
+1 for Koolstop. I'd love to try the Swiss Stops, but I'm far too tight to shell out £20 plus for a setof brake pads!

Just check the Salmon regularly, they wear down quicker than you think!

I would agree with Lardyboy,I have got Swiss Stops for my carbon wheels and they are excellent.I also use the dual compound Koolstops on my Mavic ceramic rims but find that they are not as good as Dura ace blocks or the green Swiss Stops which all my mates use and highly recommend

Top Bottom