Which brand(s) should I buy cycling clothing from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've worn Assos bib shorts for 20+ years and I'm unlikely to change from this. Comfort, quality and fit are superb. The cost is eye-watering but there are bargains to be found in the factory outlet. I get three years out of a pair and I ride +/- 7000 miles/year. When a pair start to get a bit thin I wear them in winter under unpadded bib longs and get another year or so from a pair. Great value.

Most of my jerseys are club kit. This is made by TacTic and you can buy their general offer online. I like it. Again good value and very durable.

Other kit I have is by Funkier. I like the quality and the cut and fit is right for me.

I buy base layers and socks at Aldi, generally decent value for money.

I would suggest the basics are bib shorts, unpadded bib longs, armwarmers, base layers, winter jersey, summer jersey, gilet, winter jacket, rain jacket, cap and a good buff.

I feel your most important purchases will be quality bib shorts, base layer and winter jacket. Get these three right and the rest falls in to place. I regard my winter jacket as the most important upper body item. Generally I can ride through winter with a base layer and winter jacket, occasionally I'll wear a gilet under the jacket.

Layering is important but if the right clothing is chosen three layers, base, jersey and jacket/gilet or similar should be adequate in all conditions.

Top tip. In winter carry a spare base layer. At the cafe or halfway point if you don't stop at cafés change your base layer. A dry base layer is wonderfully warm in winter.

cm2mackem

Über Member
If you are after a good quality winter jacket that is as good as a Gabba, Perfetto, Stolen Goat Orakaan , i have them all, try Galibier, British firm and fantastic quality, the Gabba is going up for sale because i didn't use it last winter as i bought this instead, https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-iv-weather-jacket/

avecReynolds531

Veteran
For long days out, or best days out, Etxeondo is lovely - look for sales as full price makes your eyes water.
Giordana and Assos have been good for me too - again look for sales: both Giordana & Assos have their own sale/ outlet websites.
I've still got a pair of Assos shorts from around 2005 going strong.

I also like the Stolen Goat bodyline jerseys - they are essentially a Bioracer product, made in Belgium: excellent cut and value. Bioracer make kit for the Belgian, Ducth and German national cycling teams - if it's good enough for the top pros, it's certainly ok for me:smile:

For shorter rides and commuting, I've had sale items from Caratti and PBK - all good so far.

There are so many new clothing companies now - I'm out of touch. Many good suggestions in this thread and wise words regarding layering and the seasons.

I was taught to keep your knees covered up to 16C - I know some people don't bother but I reckon this is decent advice. Knee warmers or 3/4 bibs are options.

Most of my stuff is Assos as i'm lucky enough to pass by the factory a few times a year and there's plenty of bargains in there:okay: but recently i bought 2 jerseys and 3 pairs of socks from Stolen Goat and have to say have been very impressed with them, lovely cut and nice materials, also very well priced:okay:

rjacobs

Regular
Kalas tops are always good.
Assos bib shorts I always find most comfortable.
Craft products are good value too.
Rapha bib shorts are good for me but I find some of their tops too thick and hot for summer use. Quality is good though.
I struggle with bib short length as I need a medium for waist etc but leg length to long. Does anyone use short leg bib shorts in a medium?

mythste

Veteran
Rapha bib shorts are good for me but I find some of their tops too thick and hot for summer use. Quality is good though.
I struggle with bib short length as I need a medium for waist etc but leg length to long. Does anyone use short leg bib shorts in a medium?

Morvelo standard series are a good inch or two shorter than the Rapha Classics and Core in the leg. I love my Morvelo kit. Rapha is marginally more comfortable for anything over 60 miles for me but that's splitting hairs.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Whatever you do...do not buy white shorts however cheap they are !!
Why not ?

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I too have difficulty with leg length. You're already using Assos so you may have missed that they offer varying leg lengths. I can't remember the exact details as I haven't bought any for three years but I do recall the F1 Mille - which I always wear - came in both long and short leg.

The F1 Mille is no longer made by Assos so I contacted them about the replacement product. These are the Mille GT and the Cento EVO - the lady who replied to me was very clear the Cento has a shorter leg and if I sent measurements she would help me get the bib shorts which best matched the F1.

Top Bottom