Which chain lube ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Any of the Finish Line ones mentioned above will work fine.

Just never put WD40 or its siblings anywhere near a bike chain if you want it to last.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Just never put WD40
that's all I ever use and I bet you I get more miles per chain than you :tongue: and don’t tell me it’s not a lubricant

byegad

Legendary Member
I clean my chains with GT85. My DF tourer managed 5000 miles of dirty wet commuting with less than 0.75% wear. I do oil after cleaning and drying the chain. I also use GT85 to film over the chain before putting it away wet.

darth vadar

Über Member
I am a GT 85 man also (as recommended by my local bike shop) Halfords were selling it at £2.99 when I bought a floor pump a couple of months back.

Davidc

Guru
that's all I ever use and I bet you I get more miles per chain than you :tongue: and don’t tell me it’s not a lubricant

WD40's great - for cleaning the muck off my frame. If you want to use it it instead of oil on your chain that's up to you - it's more than some people use judging by some of the bikes I see parked near mine.

I've sometimes wondered how long those orangy brown, lubricant free chains last before breaking or before the transmission fails elsewhere. I suspect it may be longer than most on here would believe.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
Finish line Teflon plus Dry (red top) in the summer and light rain / wet conditions

Finish Line Cross Country (green top) in the harsh cold winter conditions...

I agree with Norman D. These a very good. However, as mentioned before any chain lube should do the job. Remember, the important thing is that, whatever you use, it should be applied to clean chains.

Always use drip oil instead of spray. Spray is messy and wasteful.

mark675

i use white spray grease from toolstation, it costs next to nothing and doesnt seem to fling off as oil would. its only £2.64 for 400ml they also have chain spray at £3.30 but ive not used it, it might be a bit heavy for small chains more suited to motorbikes.

awfulquiet

Always heard that the less oil the better, as it actually attracts the grit that will wear out the chain.

LBS recommends a cleaning regime and light lubrication, wiping off the "excess" oil. Wet / Dry oils can help depending on condition. Motorex makes a decent set of lubrication sprays and drips..

Top Bottom