Which chain to buy? - links count confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ontodva

I need a new chain for my Shimano 11 speed cassette and I want the KMC X11 11 Speed Chain but I'm confused. Buyers have to choose 114 or 118 links and I don't know which one to get. The bike isn't with me to count the links on its Sunrace chain.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Either is likely fine unless you have really long chain stays or an unusual cassette / chain ring setup. On my road bike I’m always needing to remove more than 4 links when fitting a new chain.

OP
OP
O

ontodva

Either is likely fine unless you have really long chain stays or an unusual cassette / chain ring setup. On my road bike I’m always needing to remove more than 4 links when fitting a new chain.

I might have to remove links? So if I get the 114 link product it might have too few links and the 118 link product might have too many? I thought you just bought the chain and put it on. I know it has to be split/joined.

presta

Guru
I need a new chain for my Shimano 11 speed cassette and I want the KMC X11 11 Speed Chain but I'm confused. Buyers have to choose 114 or 118 links and I don't know which one to get. The bike isn't with me to count the links on its Sunrace chain.

If you're unsure, and not willing to wait until you can check the bike, get the longer one, it's not going to cost you anything other than the extra price.

OP
OP
O

ontodva

Is there much difference in price or availability?

The 114 link is more available. 118 link is out of stock in Wiggle and Chain Reaction and Tredz but Planet X and Merlin have it. The pricing is all over the place but the links count doesn't make much or any difference. Amazon is cheapest and free delivery but there is the possibility of fakes.

OP
OP
O

ontodva

I might have to remove links? So if I get the 114 link product it might have too few links and the 118 link product might have too many? I thought you just bought the chain and put it on. I know it has to be split/joined.

The fog is clearing. The cassettes are the same dimensions but the bikes differ in other ways.

vickster

Legendary Member
The 114 link is more available. 118 link is out of stock in Wiggle and Chain Reaction and Tredz but Planet X and Merlin have it. The pricing is all over the place but the links count doesn't make much or any difference. Amazon is cheapest and free delivery but there is the possibility of fakes.

Does it have to be that KMC one? Hopkinson cycles were selling 11 speed Sram chains for £11 delivered
Still are…
https://hopkinsoncycles.co.uk/product/sram-pc-1110/

I've done this recently. Just take your time , make sure you have the correct tools and it will be fine

I brought the 118 link and chopped it down to size - to get the size just line old and new side by side and line up the links.

Loads of vids on youtube. If I can do it with my crap diy skills I'm sure anyone can.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My GT Grade causes me some problems. Current/original chain is 116 links and this seems to check out as optimal length. I have no option but to buy the 118 link chains for extra £££ and remove a link.

In general, the factory chain is the correct length, so you just need to match that. The only way to do this is to physically count the links.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just count the number of links in the current one and get one with a bit more than that.

When cutting it I always lay the two chains down next to each other on a newspaper then count the links again and find the cut point at least twice, to be sure before doing anything.

Then I realise that I can't find the quick link that came with the chain. Every ... bloody ... time.

Top Bottom