Which chain whip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smoothhound

Hi Folks,

I'm about to get some new wheels for my commuter bike and I've decided to fit them myself. I'm a relative newbie and I always find the choice available in every cycle component a bit bewildering, usually I find some patient googling/forum surfing clarifies things. I had thought that I'd made all the hard choices for this project, but I'm now looking at chain whips and have drawn a blank. I've got an 8-speed chain and looking at wiggle I can find 9 speed and 10 speed chain whips and a few "not mentioned" speed chain whips. Is there really that much of a difference or will any of them fit? :smile:

Cheers

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
they'll all be fine. Any old chain whip will do, just get the cheapest you can find. Lifeline or BBB will possibly be cheap

woohoo

Veteran
I hate to say this but I've been using a chain whip that is designed to remove car oil filters, which I think I bought from a Poundland or some such outfit. It's a bit agricultural but works (well it does on Shimano 7,8,9; not tried it on Campag yet).

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
workers_united said:
I hate to say this but I've been using a chain whip that is designed to remove car oil filters, which I think I bought from a Poundland or some such outfit. It's a bit agricultural but works (well it does on Shimano 7,8,9; not tried it on Campag yet).

me too!! it works on all cassettes, even 10 speed dura ace :sad:

k-dog

A 10 speed one could be a poor investment as it might not work on something older - the chain wouldn't fit over the teeth of the cassette.

Park make a very nice one if you have too much money or any other one will do the job.

bobg

Über Member
I'd have a length of pipe handy to slide over the handle of the whip ... sometimes they can be a bit stiff and the extra leverage helps . Putting the splined sprocket remover in the vice when attached to the wheel ( horizontally) allows you to get 2 hands on the whip can be a good idea too. Sorry for the gratuitous advice only I spent about 2 hours trying to shift one the other day.

Top Bottom