Which Chain

Which chain do you use.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Need a new chain. have a campag one at the moment, what differance would a better chain make and what make would you to go for, also posted a poll to see who uses what.^_^

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
KMC, cheap, decent link and so far reliable :smile:

D

Deleted member 23692

Shimano on both mine - that's what they came with and until they wear out I'll keep using them

U

User6179

None.

Another vote for KMC, I simply won't use anything else anymore.

Even if I bought a brand new bike tomorrow I'd put a KMC chain on it straight away, simple.

I dont know anyone on this forum who rates shimano chains over KMC ones , never heard anyone say KMC are worse than shimano but apart from the the shimano joining pin no one gives a reason?

Apart from the the shimano joining pin no one gives a reason?
IME Shimano are simply inferior quality, and I've used them all, 105, Ultegra and DA.

I had no real complaint about the DA one, but was never going to pay the ££'s to replace it, but I have had problems with premature wear on the others.

KMC are simply excellent value and excellent quality chains, and having never had a problem with one there's simply no need to ever consider buying any other IME.

Nebulous

Guru
There was a fascinating detailed review posted recently - from a German magazine translated into English, showing that the new Shimano directional ones were better than their major competitors. Unfortunately I can't find the link. One thing about Shimano they keep doggedly plugging away and if people are unhappy they will change it.

I'm out of step with everyone else, not least because I'm still on 9 speed. I moved to kmc from Shimano and quite liked it, although changing gear was altered a bit and I had to do some tinkering. However I had a problem with the sideplates cracking in two places and breaking in one, the night before the Etape Caledonia. Luckily the bike shop in Pitlochry was still open. They didn't have a kmc one, but sold me a SRAM one. I've been using them ever since. Slightly more expensive, but I find it quieter and think it changes better. Incidentally SRAM came behind kmc in that German review I can't find - however I reckon they are only referring to state of the art, top of the range chains, not older 9 speed.

Redvers

I hesitate to threaten this KMC love-fest, however I switched both bikes from Shimano to KMC the year before last and have now returned to Shimano.

The answer to the question ‘What difference would a better chain make?’ is not ‘None’ A better chain should provide better shifting, a quieter ride and last longer.

Admittedly my assessment has only been with Ultregra and Dura-Ace 10 speed chainsets but I have found, to my surprise, that although KMC chains are very good, Shimanos have the edge on all 3 points.

I would just add that this applies to regularly cleaned, lubed and admittedly over-pampered chainsets as some bike buddies have pointed out that KMC chains are more forgiving in rough conditions.

Top Bottom