Which chainset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
For early 60's sun wasp 5 speed? I want to try to get it as close to original as possible. I think it would possibly have had a Williams chainset but which one was most popular for a 'higher end' bike in the early 60's? C34 C45 or a simple one piece like the continental? (Does anyone know what Carlton were using on their flyer at that time?)
Also what tooth count would be most appropriate for an older geezer (50 odd)
Cheers....

Sharky

Guru
I was riding a C34 in my avatar picture in 1967.
Cheers

PS You don't qualify to be an "Old Geezer" for at least another 15 years.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
After an afternoon's research I think the c34 may be a bit too old school for early 60's...I'm plumping for the c45 or c1200 both look pretty similar ...dunno about pretty but probably pretty expensive..ha
IMG_20160415_195208.jpg

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Yeah the 1200 (in the above pic) as you say is the one to have... If I can source one....!
The c45 is a little more common -this maybe the one I have to settle for tho...
_20160415_221111.JPG
(pic is a double)

shadaboot27

Yeah the 1200 (in the above pic) as you say is the one to have... If I can source one....!
The c45 is a little more common -this maybe the one I have to settle for tho... View attachment 124938 (pic is a double)

I just bought a bike with that chainset. If it doesn't make it into my collection and I end up selling the bits I will let you know :smile:

Attachments

• $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    132 KB · Views: 108
  • $_57 (5).JPG
    $_57 (5).JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 111

rhm

Nice... I've never heard of that model is it a big un?
The C1200 came only in 6 3/4" arm lengths, as opposed to the C1000 and C34 etc which were typically 6 1/2" but also appear in other sizes (I've seen 6" and 5 1/2"). I'm not partial to the longer arms, but the C1200 is a really really nice chainset.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
The C1200 came only in 6 3/4" arm lengths, as opposed to the C1000 and C34 etc which were typically 6 1/2" but also appear in other sizes (I've seen 6" and 5 1/2"). I'm not partial to the longer arms, but the C1200 is a really really nice chainset.
...sorry I think I was confusing things there... I was referring to shadabouts bike asking if it was a big un' (all his bikes are too small for him...!) I'd love the c1200 there's one for sale on eBay for £130 at the mo its a nice one but a nice price too tho! For a chain set I'd like a 46 tooth or (I've only got a 5 speed freewheel) not really sure about crank length... whatever's available in good nick at the right price :smile:

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
The continental is an option I am considering ..(I have one on my Realmrider which is also providing the wheels & other bits n bobs) the cranks are a bit ratty tho. I thought the c34 would be a too old fashioned for the 60's but with cyclo benelux mech, lever & dropouts maybe not..?.
I still like the look of the c45 but I think the c1200 was maybe a bit 'too posh' for a sun (never mind my wallet...)
I'll probably never find out what was on the bike originally so as long as its shiny & says Williams on it I'll be happy

Top Bottom