Which cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I've decided I'm going to try clipless, on a budget, so it hasn't cost me much if I don't like it.

I've found some Shimano SPD shoes on sale in my size, and I'm going to get Shimano M324 single-sided pedals. (My OH has been using those for a couple of years, and she's very happy with them.)

Neither the shoes nor the pedals come with cleats (according to the description) so I plan to get some Shimano SH-56 cleats, which are apparently the ones that release easily and in pretty much any direction. I've seen them for sale with and without counter plates. Which do I need?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
90% of pedals come with cleats - just buy a pair that do.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/290778069202?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

If you can't get a pair supplied you will need some
SM-SH56
cleats.

GrasB

Veteran
While you tend to get them with shoes, it's always worth getting your first set of cleats with counter plates. It means if one plate gets lunched you've got a spare to pop in it's place.

Cubist

Still wavin'
@lulubel Not on a MTB though Lu. You need single direction release. Half the point of SPD on a MTB is to be able to lift the back wheel with your feet, and multi-release will stop you from doing so.

I think the 324s come with cleats.... where are you getting them from? Only OEM will come without cleats, and even they have them most of the time.

While we're at it, are you sure those 324s are what you want? That upper side looks lethal for cleated shoes, and no more grip than standard rat traps. If I may be so bold as to recommend you a pedal, can I point you towards the M530 trail pedal, which has a cage surround to the SPD mech, which makes clipping in a doddle and emergency unclipped pedalling a possibility,
XPrfwFUC8R2jT70DbEWADpGLbISxJO5Nt9VmkUKEnEe6YcrEKX9IHQFSxyw5YrUkAgPOpmueOJrl8yPw6m6eyfKxSdslJTQdSL8qh8y4-F0GcLXslA9sAZMXnNI8CXTF8zX7jGKG6NBxAdUmcuerwnyqIQ

or a bit more robust, the M424 which has a resin cage around a pop-up SPD mechanism. Good for getting a pedal stroke in after unclipping at thebottom of a climb.
shimano-m424-spd-mtb-pedals.jpg

GentlyBenevolent

the M530 trail pedal, which has a cage surround to the SPD mech, which makes clipping in a doddle and emergency unclipped pedalling a possibility

I have these and second the usefulness of having the small surround. I've used it for this a couple of times when feeling the need to move around slightly.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@lulubel Not on a MTB though Lu. You need single direction release. Half the point of SPD on a MTB is to be able to lift the back wheel with your feet, and multi-release will stop you from doing so.

[pantomime] oh no it won't[/pantomime] and everyone should learn to bunny hop properly without spds.

While we're at it, are you sure those 324s are what you want? That upper side looks lethal for cleated shoes, and no more grip than standard rat traps. If I may be so bold as to recommend you a pedal, can I point you towards the M530 trail pedal, which has a cage surround to the SPD mech, which makes clipping in a doddle and emergency unclipped pedalling a possibility,
XPrfwFUC8R2jT70DbEWADpGLbISxJO5Nt9VmkUKEnEe6YcrEKX9IHQFSxyw5YrUkAgPOpmueOJrl8yPw6m6eyfKxSdslJTQdSL8qh8y4-F0GcLXslA9sAZMXnNI8CXTF8zX7jGKG6NBxAdUmcuerwnyqIQ

or a bit more robust, the M424 which has a resin cage around a pop-up SPD mechanism. Good for getting a pedal stroke in after unclipping at thebottom of a climb.
shimano-m424-spd-mtb-pedals.jpg

I agree.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I've gone for the M324s because my OH already uses them, so I've had a chance to see them in real life. Also, based on the reviews, they're the only ones where I haven't seen a review saying your feet slip off the non-cleated side.

I've ordered touring shoes that are reviewed as having grippy soles because the last thing I want is traditional MTB shoes. I don't need something that has a huge tread for gripping mud because we don't get much of that.

I'm not going to put them on the MTB to begin with. They're going on the Surly because I've really felt uncomfortable on it since I've had the Cube. I keep noticing I've moved my feet right out to the very edge of the pedals, which isn't safe, and also isn't good for my knees, so I need something to stop me doing that. If I get on well with them on the Surly, then I might put some on the Cube too. I'm not entirely sure yet.

I don't want emergency unclipped pedalling, by the way. I want to be able to choose whether to clip in or not, while wearing my cleated shoes.

VamP

Banned
[''GregCollins, post: 2156117, member: 5193"][pantomime] oh no it won't[/pantomime] and everyone should learn to bunny hop properly without spds.

Yeah! Everyone should use eggbeaters instead. Much better.

Top Bottom