Which computer for turbo trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cambie

Hi all.

I got some great advice on my last question about iphone vs computer. Can anyone tell me which computers will work with a turbo trainer?

Cheers.

Fubar

Guru
Hi all.

I got some great advice on my last question about iphone vs computer. Can anyone tell me which computers will work with a turbo trainer?

Cheers.

I have a Garmin 500 with Heart Rate Monitor and Cadence/Speed sensor on the back wheel - only thing it doesn't measure is power output.

young Ed

Veteran
/\
you need one with cadence meter if you want to record speed and distance* the cheapest but best is the garmin edge 500
try handtec they have some very good deals on refurbished garmins
http://www.handtec.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=13&dir=asc&order=price&q=garmin

something like this would be fine for you, £160 compared to £260 from garmin!
http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-edge-500-premium-hrm-speed-cadence-red-black-010-00829-13.html
Cheers Ed
*i think the cadence meter measures cadence, speed and distance but i'm sure someone with first hand practical experience on a turbo with such a device could confirm this, maybe @Fubar could help?

screenman

Legendary Member
You could by a cheap wired or wireless computer with cadence if that was your wish, and connect it to the rear wheel rather than the front.

It is what many did before Garmin.

I have the Cateye CS-1000 turbo and have for over 22 years they give me all the info I need except cadence, which is where a cheap computer was used, now replaced with the Garmin.

bpsmith

Veteran
Some Turbo's can now link to your Garmin to give Speed, Cadence and Power without an additional cadence sensor. Not the cheapest route, but they do give other options when training too.

young Ed

Veteran
Some Turbo's can now link to your Garmin to give Speed, Cadence and Power without an additional cadence sensor. Not the cheapest route, but they do give other options when training too.
remind me what they're called please? are they smart turbo's?
not all that cheap though :sad: do they need a garmin with bluetooth i'm guessing to work?
Cheers Ed

bpsmith

Veteran
I got the Tacx brand @young Ed and their range is called Smart. There are 3 at varying price in the Smart range. They use Ant+ and Bluetooth too. I connect Garmin with Ant+ and use the Bluetooth to my iPad to follow training Workouts. Can also download videos of famous climbs and attempt those too!

bpsmith

Veteran
I could have, yes, but I set the iPad up to specific workouts and it controls the resistance on the Tacx as I ride then. Works very well in fairness and displays loads of stats. Going to download one of the videos soon to try those out. Garmin is just extra if I want to upload them to Strava.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I could have, yes, but I set the iPad up to specific workouts and it controls the resistance on the Tacx as I ride then. Works very well in fairness and displays loads of stats. Going to download one of the videos soon to try those out. Garmin is just extra if I want to upload them to Strava.
I was meaning for anyone . I think Ant+ with cadence and speed magnets is about £25 . This would send the stats straight to a garmin or any Ant+ device regardless of what turbo you use .

bpsmith

Veteran
I was meaning for anyone . I think Ant+ with cadence and speed magnets is about £25 . This would send the stats straight to a garmin or any Ant+ device regardless of what turbo you use .
Totally. I was only mentioning as these are relatively new and price is nowhere near as even last year.

Fubar

Guru
/\
you need one with cadence meter if you want to record speed and distance* the cheapest but best is the garmin edge 500
try handtec they have some very good deals on refurbished garmins
http://www.handtec.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=13&dir=asc&order=price&q=garmin

something like this would be fine for you, £160 compared to £260 from garmin!
http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-edge-500-premium-hrm-speed-cadence-red-black-010-00829-13.html
Cheers Ed
*i think the cadence meter measures cadence, speed and distance but i'm sure someone with first hand practical experience on a turbo with such a device could confirm this, maybe @Fubar could help?

It does.

young Ed

Veteran
don't think this would be any good for me as i don't have any smart phone or tablet and i only have garmin edge touring, or could i do something with one of those usb bluetooth dongles?
Cheers Ed

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
don't think this would be any good for me as i don't have any smart phone or tablet and i only have garmin edge touring, or could i do something with one of those usb bluetooth dongles?
Cheers Ed
I'm pretty sure your Garmin is ANT+ so with a RS Ant+ sensor you should get all the stats from the back wheel . Mine is sold by Giant and if I could be arsed I would test it for you but ............ I cant be arsed :tongue:

young Ed

Veteran
I'm pretty sure your Garmin is ANT+ so with a RS Ant+ sensor you should get all the stats from the back wheel . Mine is sold by Giant and if I could be arsed I would test it for you but ............ I cant be arsed :tongue:
just had a look at garmin website and standard touring model (what i have) doesn't have bluetooth or ant + so i reckon if i were to get a turbo i would have to either buy a edge 500 and cadence meter probably from handtec for £160 as above or sell the edge touring and buy an edge 800 that i would use for both turbo and real outdoor road riding
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom