Which CX bike to replace tricross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Has anybody actually ridden the Boardman and commented on the ride? I've found lots of reviews but still no ride reports. Had a look at one yesterday and it does look tasty, quite a respectable weight too with that carbon fork. But how does it ride?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Pinnacle Arkose two got a good write up in cycling plus. £999 Shimano 105 stuff, Frame and fork alloy. Tektro Lyra mechanical disc brakes.

looks good as well.

PS £849 in Evans now. My link

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hmmm, interesting, thanks. I'd already see the CC thread and that BikeRadar thread makes me feel worried about the BB30 issues. I'm so tempted to give the Boardman a try but in the end think I'd rather buy from Harry Hall than Halfords, so it will be a Specialized.

VamP

Banned
I think it's worth waiting until hydraulic brakes make it onto cross bikes. BB5 is just as much of a kerfuffle as cantilevers, and a lot heavier too.

In the meantime look what you can get in the sales, makes the Spesh offerings seem... well, ordinary.

Cube x race pro

VamP

Banned
[QUOTE 1529418"]
BB7s are effective, and pretty much fit and forget. Just the occasional twist of the dial. Way better than cantilevers.
[/quote]

True, but the Spesh bikes discussed above come with BB5.

VamP

Banned
[QUOTE 1529421"]
I know, but BB7s are a decent upgrade. Waiting for hydraulics to come as standard isn't the only option.

[/quote]

That makes the the Tricross Elite at £1200 plus the cost of upgrade a very expensive 11+ kg Tiagra equipped bike though.

Much better to look at something like the Saxon Cross, which comes with BB7 as standard and keeps weight to somewhat acceptable 10kg.
thumbsup.png

I will freely admit to being biased though, as I have never felt canti's to be that much of a limitation.
whistling.gif

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Genesis Croix de Fer is a good bike. I have the 2011, but the 2012 comes with BB7 discs, or the (Aluminium) Genesis Vapour would be a wee bit lighter, and the 2012 also has disc brakes. There are good deals to be had on the 2011 Croix de Fer

My colleague is looking at the Planet X Carbon (yes, carbon) dirty disco CX bike, but at £1500 I think this is too much for this type of bike

VamP

Banned
Genesis Croix de Fer is a good bike. I have the 2011, but the 2012 comes with BB7 discs, or the (Aluminium) Genesis Vapour would be a wee bit lighter, and the 2012 also has disc brakes. There are good deals to be had on the 2011 Croix de Fer

My colleague is looking at the Planet X Carbon (yes, carbon) dirty disco CX bike, but at £1500 I think this is too much for this type of bike

I dunno, Dirty Disco looks like good value to me... I guess it depends what premium you place on weight

Realistically, if you're looking for a race bike, then the DD is just about the only disc equipped offering out there that will be competitive. Add a pair of Major Tom's and you're good to race.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
I dunno, Dirty Disco looks like good value to me... I guess it depends what premium you place on weight

Realistically, if you're looking for a race bike, then the DD is just about the only disc equipped offering out there that will be competitive. Add a pair of Major Tom's and you're good to race.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome looking machine, but as a true CX or tricross replacement it is expensive. Otherwise if I hadn't just bought a road bike, I'd be having one.^_^

Top Bottom