Which first bike back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExcuseMyNoob

Hello all, I hope everyone is well, firstly I might ramble on a bit, but I prefer information overload than not enough.

So, I am looking at getting back into biking after some 10-12 years off.
I am coming back into it as if I've never ridden, since so much has changed anyway, it's all new to me now!
I am working with around £1,200 for new, but could push it a little further if there was something much nicer at £1,400 for example compared to a £1,200 option.
I am thinking hardtail, for weight saving, budget and easier to maintain.
I am 5'9 so will be needing medium - medium/large frame.
I have quite a specific style of frame/bike I like, it needs to look pleasing as well as perform well.
Currently the top bike on my list is the Ragley Big Al 2.0 in purple, but no stock anywhere.
Next in line is the Trek Roscoe 6 27.5+ (I am actually not sure what difference the + makes?)
I am not sold on the Suntour forks on the Trek though, I've heard quite a few bad reviews and stories of them failing very prematurely.
I am not actually fussed if it's new or not, but the used market seems very limited at the moment, however if someone has something that might suit, by all means get in contact, it doesn't have to be a 2021 model bike either, as long as it's not too old.
Hopefully this is enough information to go on, if anymore is required, just ask.
I should also point out I am in the UK so a UK based shop is essential.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you riding primarily off-road?
if not, why a hardtail? A road bike (flat of drop bar) would be more applicable for roads, park paths, other paved surfaces. Far lighter at £1200 compared to a mountain bike :smile:
more info about proposed uses would be helpful :okay:

OP
OP
E

ExcuseMyNoob

Actually just didn't even realise I'd not added that info sorry, so yes it will be used primarily off road, light trails, but the more I get into it the more I'd like to visit some bike parks, still don't think I'll require full sus but I do want the comfort and bonuses of front suspension.
After visiting a few shops today, my favourite so far is the Trek Roscoe 7, it seems the best all round in terms of spec and quality and feel, I sat on an Orange Crush Comp and don't think it's almost double as nice as the Trek (1,150 vs 2,050)

vickster

Legendary Member
Diminishing returns as you spend more.
If you like the Trek and your LBS has the right size, snap it up as bike stocks are super low and will probably diminish more as the weather warns up.
I doubt you need to spend 2k for riding light trails, if even 1k!

si_c

Guru
Mrs C has the Trek Roscoe 8 and she loves it - she's had it a couple of years now and it's been faultless. We use it at bike parks as well as local trails no problem. Post Brexit the price has gone up, but it's good value for money I think at £1500 still.

But buy the bike that makes you happiest, I'd argue at your price point going a little higher for the better forks and groupset is worth it but you're unlikely to be disappointed whichever way you go.

Top Bottom