Which Foriegn Sportive ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did the Ardechoise twice, in the Ardeche in France, and it was simply the best time I've had on a bike.

There are a choice of reasonably hilly distances from 40miles, 75, 107, 125 and upwards. Each increase includes an extra climb and you can choose en route where to call it a day. The scenery is amazing and the support and food from all the rural villages is humbling.

http://blog.ardechoise.com/en/parcours/

U

User169

The biggest in NL is the Amstel Gold sportief. For 2012, you have to enter a lottery to get a place - entry to the lottery finishes 10 Oct 2011, I think.

Others in NL seem to be named after ex-pros. Steven Rooks and Michael Boogerd have annual events (easy to find with google), usually in the south of NL using parts of the Amstel Gold and L-B-L routes.

Any sportief in the south will likely involve a reasonable amount of climbing. Not exactly the alps - more of the short, sharp, shock variety.

U

User169

One of my Sunday morning cycling pals is Dutch, he always goes back for this one, either as a participant or spectator. The main benefit of the later is you get to drink beer all day. But you don't get to cycle as much.

In a mad moment, I entered the lottery for the 260km route. God knows what I'm going to do if I actually get a place!

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I've always wanted to do 'L'eroica' though its in Italy and you need a bike pre 1989 I think ? Also I think its a race not a sportive ?

VamP

Banned
I am looking at the Maratona di Dolomiti. I hear very good things about it, and love the Dolomites.

A friend completed La Marmotte this year. Looks fantastic but far too tough for me! I believe it is the same parcours each year, so depending on perspective, is good or bad - you can go back each year to attempt to improve your time.

Top Bottom