Which free anti-malware would you recommend ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
From tomorrow I will be relying on Windows Defender. I understand I need malware protection (I have never installed any before).
I rarely use the laptop but would like to be assured its safe.
Thanks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I leave it to Windows Defender and it's been fine for years.

Interesting, thanks.
I had AVG for ages but it stopped and is trying to make me buy one..... so I googled and everything said Defender. However 'everything' also said I should install malware protection as well.
But maybe I dont

I generally have malwarebytes (free version) as well. Couple of times it has found the odd problem.

The latest version, it updates itself.
Never had a problem, I run malwarebytes over the filesystem infrequently whenever I want to do a scan. The paid version is real time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Run the free version occasionally (malwarebytes) , the MS stuff does the rest....

I've only got BT's Virus Protect on the machines most likely to get viruses - i.e. the one's the teens use. Every other computer runs the MS free stuff fine.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Defender for me as well, plus Malwarebytes every few months as a one off. Yet to have a problem with 5 laptops in the house and a media PC.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I generally have malwarebytes (free version) as well. Couple of times it has found the odd problem.
This was recommended to me today by an engineer at the Apple Shop when my MacBook needed to be checked.
Easy to download and free for home use- look a couple of minutes to run.

Top Bottom