Which Garmin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin McNeely

The European maps are £75 rrp which hikes the price up if course. I got the 800 for under £250 with hrm and cadence. That was pbk with a voucher code
£75 for maps? I got mine for free via downloads Uk, Europe and also have parts of USA. Still a good price for the 800, £297 was my total price. I did notice with some shops it was either just the gps unit or the full package. Still two really good units with marginal differences. I've always used garmin GPS even for my car and running

Martin McNeely

Live tracking with the 810 needs to be done via a smartphone. I just just have a find my iphone app on the phone and the good lady can just use the laptop at home to see where I am.
Phone always comes out with me and just stays in my saddle bag. So for me no real reason to pay more for the 810.
The find my Iphone app is really good,it helped my find mine when I had lost it once. This is what my wife will use when I'm out alone. The downside to both is if you lose the signal then it only lets you see last location.
The advantages to live tracking via 810 and garmin app is that it gives you every statistic which is probably for the more serious rider.I use it, it can also help on club runs if there are separate groups. It is also helpful for all TT's sportive etc where you may find yourself riding as others are finished. I used it recently on a practice TT and it worked great. I didn't think I'd use it when I bought it but will.

P.s Don't take my reply as offensive,you probably think I'm selling 810's. It's just extra info that not a lot had put on forums when I was searching so it'll help others buy one or the other.

Top Bottom