Which GPS ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I wa sthinking of buying a Garmin 705 this week, but after taking to a current owner of one I'm not so sure if I should waste spend my money on one.

My primary planned use was to be route planning & navigation. Cadence & HRM are nice to have & not essential. However I was advised that the 705 is a pain to use for navigation as you have to delete every way marker as you are cycling along, otherwise it wont direct you past these points :ohmy:
Is there a way to use the 705 without having to delete way markers, or is there a GPS that will be more suitable for my needs?

TIA

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Rubbish. Whoever told you this is talking out of their arse...

Soltydog said:
I wa sthinking of buying a Garmin 705 this week, but after taking to a current owner of one I'm not so sure if I should waste spend my money on one.

My primary planned use was to be route planning & navigation. Cadence & HRM are nice to have & not essential. However I was advised that the 705 is a pain to use for navigation as you have to delete every way marker as you are cycling along, otherwise it wont direct you past these points :-?
Is there a way to use the 705 without having to delete way markers, or is there a GPS that will be more suitable for my needs?

TIA

The 305 is a pain for navigation but its still a great tool and you certainly don't have to delete way points on route; I don't believe Garmin would of made things worse. I agree with ianrauk who ever said that you have to manually delete way points is talking porkies.

zacklaws

Guru
I agree with previous poster but I have a feeling I know what the other person meant, two ways you can navigate with, one is to create a course which you just follow and the second is to set up waypoints at road junctions etc where you need to turn, which as you pass over they automatically select the next one.

Following a course is simple, but I rarely use the waypoint method, but when I have done, you have to pass very close to the waypoint and ideally needs positioning on the point you cycle over, otherwise it will not automatically select the next one to navigate too and then you have to start faffing about selecting it manually. So probably the person you spoke to does not position the waypoints precise enough.

I only have the 305 but I understand the 705 works the same way, plus the 705 has the benefit of a map.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Cheers all. What you say Nigel makes sense (I think) I'll still take a punt on the 705 then:wacko:

By the way Nigel were going at a fair old pace today when you passed us, 20+ ? A bit crazy for that heat. Our pace was more than enough :ohmy:

zacklaws

Guru
Soltydog said:
By the way Nigel were going at a fair old pace today when you passed us, 20+ ? A bit crazy for that heat. Our pace was more than enough :laugh:

We did clog it a bit, ended up with a 17mph average, and expended all energy I had through Beverley Westwood to the burger van at 44mph as I now have a couple of days to recover before Wednesday and start again. Only spotted you at last moment and did not notice if anyone else from forum was with you. Then remembered that there was that Audax from Hessle that day that I was thinking of doing andforgot about.

Going back to the 705, when I did Spring into the Dales in April, I goofed up by deleting the course from my Garmin the night before and forgot to reload my newer version. But I had a route planned of all the villages, towns etc that we had to pass through enroute as waypoints which I thought that I could use, but I found that I did not pass close to the way point for it to select the next one, so it was pretty useless. All I had done was select a town from mapsource and made it a waypoint, when in fact I should have made the waypoint on a road junction that I would pass through.

As for waypoints, they are usefull, as they give you the distance remaining to travel and also a bearing, but it is as the crow flies, so unless you plot every junction on route, you sometimes have to guess the best way to get to the waypoint. I look at the feature of using waypoints as more X country etc where there is no roads and tracks.

I find using a course more usefull, as it only takes minutes to plan one online and it follows the roads, download it to Garmin and your away, and you just simply follow it onscreen. Plus you can see what's coming up ahead enroute and get plenty of warning to slow down. I learnt that lesson last year when I failed to check the road ahead onscreen and came across an S bend at 30mph which just appeared in front of me.

I think if you get a 705, you will be impressed, at the moment I cannot make my mind up whether to get a 705 or a 500. What I understand with the 500 though is that you cannot plot waypoints in, which does have a usefull side, the fact that you can plot all local towns etc for where you cycle which is handy for in case of a serious breakdown. Once I used to only plot places with bike shops as the actual waypoint but now I plot any village etc, so I can find the nearest in the menu's in the Garmin and hopefully find a shop for a water / food replen. But with a 705, with its map, you can just browse the map to look for nearest villages.

Top Bottom