Which Ground Effect winter top

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Having bought a couple of the Median Strip summer tops from Ground Effect I am looking at a winter top. Either the Baked Alaska or the Frosty Boy

I am interested in reviews and specifically what else you wear with them, and the expected temperature range. I am temped by the lighter weight Baked Alaska then to add a merino long sleeve base layer (Icebreaker)

The fit of my current summer tops is stunning and the quality is excellent, so I have high hopes for their winter stuff

GrahamG

Guru
I remember the Baked Alaska got rave reviews from C+ good amount of wind proofing combined with quality merino.
I'd like ground effect stuff a lot more if it was actually reasonably stylish and didn't have such awful colours and combinations of colours.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I purchased the baked Alaska last christmas and it is an excellent piece of kit. I only every use mine with a base layer underneath and have not had an ocassion where I have had to add an extra layer.

It has excellent wind chill properties and keeps you dry and warm in light showers (not tried it in anything heavier).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have a Frosty Boy but I haven't used it in the deep of winter yet. I wore it last week when the temperature was 7deg and it was snug, warm and felt good but I'll reserve judgement to when it's cooler and windier.
The armpit region ponged a bit afterwards as I sweated up a bit on some hills so it's possible that the merino factor in the Baked Alaska may obviate that.

yello

I seem to recall, like GrahamG, that it was the Baked Alaska that was raved about.

I also recall thinking that it might be a bit too warm for my tastes though. I tend to prefer a layered approach; base layer, shirt, outer. This allows me to remove a layer if I'm getting hot and/or weather conditions change. But then I tend to be out for several hours, if not all day, so for other people with different needs, it may be just fine.

4F

yello said:
I seem to recall, like GrahamG, that it was the Baked Alaska that was raved about.

I also recall thinking that it might be a bit too warm for my tastes though. I tend to prefer a layered approach; base layer, shirt, outer. This allows me to remove a layer if I'm getting hot and/or weather conditions change. But then I tend to be out for several hours, if not all day, so for other people with different needs, it may be just fine.

Yeah it was the alaska which had the rave reviews and I bought mine based on these. I went for the alaska rather than the frosty boy as I thought the frosty boy would be too warm. The alaska has a long zip which I have found to be just right to get the balance between being too hot and too cold.

I've got both. :smile:
The Frosty Boy is definitely a cold weather top, although you can easily roll up the arms to cool down a bit. It's a great bit of kit and very comfy.

The Baked Alaska is fantastic and more versatile as the arms are made of a relatively light material, so you don't overheat as easily. You can easily couple it with a light base layer or one of their excellent vests (got both of those too) for colder days.

If you want just one, I'd go for the Alaska.

Mind you, have you seen their prices recently? I just checked. £90 for a Frosty Boy!!!!!!!:ohmy:

jay clock said:
Alaska on order. £84 inc postage.... not cheap but I loved the short sleeve shirts so much it had to be done
Wise choice.
Baggy and I have loads of their kit and it's all good stuff. We bought ours back when it was a bit cheaper though...

yello

jay clock said:
Alaska on order. £84 inc postage.... not cheap but I loved the short sleeve shirts so much it had to be done

Strange that. It'd cost me around €70 delivered (or £64). That's a bit of a difference, more than just due to exchange rates. It's also a fair price for it too, imo.

Just looking at the Ground Effect website and the Baked Alaska would do for me as well. I reckon I must have been thinking of the Frosty Boy when I said it'd be too warm for me. Shame I don't need another cycling top! ;)

4F

yello said:
Just looking at the Ground Effect website and the Baked Alaska would do for me as well. I reckon I must have been thinking of the Frosty Boy when I said it'd be too warm for me. Shame I don't need another cycling top! :biggrin:

Go on, you know you want one :biggrin:

Top Bottom