Which groupset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or go old school and buy a triple!

You can have the advantage of a larger than 50 big ring for nice rolling flat terrain and the safety blanket of the granny small ring for when it goes up.
Another yay for the road triple!
:biggrin:

OP
OP
Farrier boy

Farrier boy

£100 for a Kuota with Shimano Ultegra is a great buy, you should be able to fit a 30t cassette without changing the rear derailleur (speaking from experience) and if money is tight you’ll probably get away with keeping the existing chain rather than buying a new longer one.

CXRAndy

Guru
How heavy are you? The type of riding style, low cadence grinder or high cadance spinner.? That leads onto any knee or joints issues which will be aggravated by low cadence.

If you're lightweight rider, given time and training you will climb well on compact setup. If you're heavy and unfit, you will struggle immensely and not enjoy riding unless you gear down.

standard groupset. 53/39 11-28 or 52/36 11-28

Compact groupset 50/34. 11-32 cass

Sub compact. 48/32 or 46/30. 11-34 or 11-36 cass

MTB 42/28 11-40

Triple groupset 48/36/26. 11-32 or 11-34. fantastic range

Buck

Guru
Huddersfield is generally quite hilly isn't it?

My "best" bike has a 52/36 with an 11/28 cassette, while my everyday bike has a 50/34 with an 11/32 on the back.
You can definitely tell the difference when it gets lumpy, even if the best bike is a few kg lighter. :laugh:

If @Buck is still about he might have some thoughts?

I'm still here and just back on the road bike this Sunday after 10 months forced rest! :sad:

@Farrier boy - which part of Huddersfield are you? I'm South - not far from Emley mast.

In terms of gear I use a 50/34 and an 11/28 but ideally I'd go for a 50/34 with an 11 speed 11-32 to give you that option on some of the more challenging climbs around here. Nothing worse than ruining out on gears when the legs are tired!

Top Bottom