Which helmet cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi All,

Could anyone recommend a decent helmet camera which won't break the bank? My second Drift Ghost XL has started to freeze regularly, the first lasted three months and a replacement was issued so I'm now reluctant to spend £100's on another unless it's 100% reliable and absolutely guaranteed to last. I would also prefer two minute video settings to upload to GoSafe if needed. Many Thanks.

I've no experience but this one usually gets advertised on my Farceboke wall https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

Slick

Guru
Probably old news, but I don't think I would ever mount a camera on my bonce.

Loads of opportunities to mount them direct to the bike, and lots of good quality cameras that can stabilise the picture despite the vibration.

sorry I can’t. I use a GoPro8 on my helmet w a custom mount; so it rests flat on the front, just above my eyes. when it is freezing I use an external battery
IMG_5963.jpeg

Last edited:
I've no experience but this one usually gets advertised on my Farceboke wall https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

I had a horrendous customer service experience with Chilli Tech a number of years ago. Basically a rude and obnoxious owner. They won’t be seeing any of my money, ever.

Probably old news, but I don't think I would ever mount a camera on my bonce.

Loads of opportunities to mount them direct to the bike, and lots of good quality cameras that can stabilise the picture despite the vibration.
^^^^ This.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't attach anything solid to your lid that you wouldn't want rammed through your skull and into your brain in the event of an off.

I've given CPR to someone who had this happen to them with a helmet mounted light and its not something either of us would wish to do again.

The helmet is a safety aid. If you believe that enough to actually wear one then don't negate that benefit by sticking solid items to it.

Some time last year I was going down a hill with a slight bend to the left - and tall hedges right up to the side of the road

As I went round the bend on the downhill something grabbed hold of my head and yanked it backwards HARD

luckily it went back in a straight line and released quickly so somehow I managed to stay on the bike

turned out that a branch was coming out and down and part of it pocked through a hole in my helmet from front to back
and as I passed the branch it just pulled my helmet and head back until the holes faced back a bit and the branch slipped out

I have had similar incident before - just with leaves and twigs so they just snapped

If I had something like a camera sticking up above my head then the chances of something getting caught on it become much higher

hence I won;t put any device on top of my helmet

camera on the bars sounds like a good idea

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't attach anything solid to your lid that you wouldn't want rammed through your skull and into your brain in the event of an off.

I've given CPR to someone who had this happen to them with a helmet mounted light and its not something either of us would wish to do again.

The helmet is a safety aid. If you believe that enough to actually wear one then don't negate that benefit by sticking solid items to it.

Yup, nothing on the potty given the number of times I bounce branches off mine on the commute, never mind propper off road.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't mind a trade off most of the time, but when it involves the potential health of my brain and, ergo, the rest of me then that's a step too far.

It's the OP's call. He's a grown and and if he's happy to take the risk then fair enough.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
+1 to not having anything on your helmet.
Mine cannot be mounted anywhere other than the bike handlebar, but for lighter equipment chest mounts may be an option. I know in my GoPro box there is an unused chest strap.

Top Bottom