Which helmet cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
def. safer w/ nothing mounted to the helmet. but that location produces the best vantage point, especially considering it can be pointed in many directions. isn't everything a trade-off?

.....between a slightly better view of some very dull footage or mashing your brain in.....

let me have a think about that :wacko:

I've the updated chilli tech cam. Great battery life for weekend rides - 6 hours isn't a problem for it.

I'm not sure it'd be good in the dark and if it's wet - well you won't get any number plates. But in the light and dry it's very good for the price but mount it on the bars.

Can any of you camera experts tell me if something like the chilli cam could be used on my bike to record my rides, AND tripod, body or head worn at home to demo my knitting machine? (With suitable indoor lighting, settings adjustments etc).

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Can any of you camera experts tell me if something like the chilli cam could be used on my bike to record my rides, AND tripod, body or head worn at home to demo my knitting machine? (With suitable indoor lighting, settings adjustments etc).
I can't comment on a chilli cam as I don't have one, but a GoPro could do what you are looking to do. My GoPro came on a special offer with an accessory pack which included a lighting unit, tripod, waterproof housing, etc., but what accessories which don't come with the camera are also available to buy separately. - Amazon among other places sell them.
The advantage of a GoPro is that it is simple fitting; either a pressure clip or (hand) screw fitting, depending upon the accessory. The disadvantage is the price of the camera. From a quick search, the range of accessories for a chilli cam seem very limited
You will also need to consider the picture quality. I've never used the GoPro on my bike as I have a Cycliq Fly 12 permanently fitted, so I don't know if the camera would pick up registration plates as my Cycliq does.
An alternative to your home recording may be using your phone on a tripod*. The picture quality of many phones seems (at least to my non expert eye), to be very good. Leaving you then with a choice of camera specifically for your bike.
Edit: The tripod that came with my GoPro is only small. - It will comfortably fit on a table. Some floor standing DSLR camera tripods come with an adaptor to accommodate a mobile phone.

Last edited:
I've never used the GoPro on my bike as I have a Cycliq Fly 12 permanently fitted, so I don't know if the camera would pick up registration plates as my Cycliq does.
yes, my gopro8 will capture a plate #, depending on settings, lighting & field of view. I don't use mine for that purpose, & not at the highest quality setting, mostly just for fun. when I share photos I sample them waaay down in resolution, consequently the plate #s don't show up as clearly. if I wanted to, I could zoom in on the plates & have a clearer photo than these
1700579524388.png

1700579609272.png

1700579637850.png

also good at getting a mug shot of the dog that bites you
1700579744501.png

1700579683458.png

the owner
1700579708668.png

if the camera is stuck on the bars & you can't point it, you'll miss some things

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My son's got a Chilli Tech on his helmet, I have a Drift ghost XL like you used to.. although I have heard customer service horror stories about Chilli..(friend on his third warranty replacement which failed & then gave up trying to get a response from the company).

If you want to try it I can send you some older firmware which I find stable & reliable on two cameras. You update it via the SD card.

Just don't let it auto-update to any of the newer firmware via the app.

Drift released some firmware to "optimise streaming" which basically downgraded the image quality and bitrate enormously & I had to get them to send me the old firmware to reinstall. DM me your email address if you would like it.

I can't comment on a chilli cam as I don't have one, but a GoPro could do what you are looking to do. My GoPro came on a special offer with an accessory pack which included a lighting unit, tripod, waterproof housing, etc., but what accessories which don't come with the camera are also available to buy separately. - Amazon among other places sell them.
The advantage of a GoPro is that it is simple fitting; either a pressure clip or (hand) screw fitting, depending upon the accessory. The disadvantage is the price of the camera. From a quick search, the range of accessories for a chilli cam seem very limited
You will also need to consider the picture quality. I've never used the GoPro on my bike as I have a Cycliq Fly 12 permanently fitted, so I don't know if the camera would pick up registration plates as my Cycliq does.
An alternative to your home recording may be using your phone on a tripod*. The picture quality of many phones seems (at least to my non expert eye), to be very good. Leaving you then with a choice of camera specifically for your bike.
Edit: The tripod that came with my GoPro is only small. - It will comfortably fit on a table. Some floor standing DSLR camera tripods come with an adaptor to accommodate a mobile phone.

Problem is, I don't have a smartphone. I have a perfectly good dumbphone which enables me to, you know, make phone calls, a tablet with a not-especially-good camera, and an aging (but updated) laptop. I was hoping to find something a bit less expensive than a go-pro, I might make some enquiries among my knitting friends as to what they use!

Dadam

I was hoping to find something a bit less expensive than a go-pro

During Covid I bought a non-brand Chinese go-pro copy on Amazon for <100 notes. It came with a vast array of accessories including handlebar attachments, wireless remote, tripod attachments a waterproof cover for underwater use and 2 batteries. The brand isn't available now but this one comes up when I search for it.

I've no knowledge of this one but it looks similar, except better spec as you'd expect 3 years later.

Top Bottom