Which helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daffy

Regular
I can see plenty on here about buying a bike but what about a helmet? I had a quick look in Halfords and there's too much choice... I didn't know where to start.... nor did I understand why the prices range so much..... what do they do that's better? I want a very good quality one for safety, am willing to pay. Also, I tried a few on and I look ridiculous in them lol.... maybe I'm not used to seeing myself in headgear.

Ladies with long hair.... how do you do your hair with them? Tuck it up inside or a low ponytail hanging out the back?

Argh...... help would be appreciated :-) thanks

All I can say is try as many on as you can. All heads are different shapes and helmets vary a lot.
Im male and have a crew cut so cannot assist with the last bit.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Ladies with long hair.... how do you do your hair with them? Tuck it up inside or a low ponytail hanging out the back?

hairhelmet1.jpg

:thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
I can see plenty on here about buying a bike but what about a helmet? I had a quick look in Halfords and there's too much choice... I didn't know where to start.... nor did I understand why the prices range so much..... what do they do that's better? I want a very good quality one for safety, am willing to pay. Also, I tried a few on and I look ridiculous in them lol.... maybe I'm not used to seeing myself in headgear.

One that fits, feels comfortable, when properly adjusted. Chin strap tight enough, no movement when shake head. So try other lbs. You have to try them on, they all look fairly ridiculous. With my spaniel hair, I am much better with one that sits lower. I'm have recently got a uvex boss race, after trying myriad others

I don't like ones with big holes so you can see hair through it, or holes at the front so forehead and hairline can be seen!

Bern look ridiculous on me 'Benny Hill' (@jefmcg )

Safety wise, try to look for ones with snell, ANSI or cpsc certification and not just en, the European one. Specialized have amongst the most stringent cover. But they look too mushroomy on me.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Don't go for the cheapest ones, that doesn't mean you must spend a fortune either. Get one with adjustment at the back, and try them on, some heads are rounded and some are more elongated. I look silly in Met helmets, and specialized helmets fit me well, which is good as they are tested to the higher snell standards.

I wear a ponytail just under the helmet but above the adjustment bit sometimes and specialized actually said something about that in the leaflet with the helmet.

Hope that helps, still get funny looking hair sometimes! Mine is a specialized Aspire I think, more rounded at the back.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Don't feel that you HAVE to wear a helmet either. There's many that don't .

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Kask are a good quality helmet, also the Specialized do some nice ones, they are my favorites but there plenty more to choose from, and Halfrauds is not the only shop that sell helmets.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
As others have said, by far the most important thing is that it fits.

I have my doubts that the blasted things do any good, but wear one nonetheless. For my noggin, Specialized (in medium) fit best, but different manufacturers seem to manufacture to different shapes of head, so try on a few.

It should fit so that you can just see it by looking up (i.e. be fairly low on your forehead) and snug enough that your scalp moves when you rock the fitted helmet back and forth (but not so tight that it causes unbearable pressure, obviously).

Think about whether you want to wear a cap, or skullcap under it, and take that along when you try the helmet on.

Top Bottom