Which Howie's Merino Base Layer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyler78

Which on the of these should I get for keeping me warm during the colder mornings. Don't cycle if there's black frost warning on the morning news so it will not be really, really cold, really anything just above freezing.

At min I wear two base layers (helly hansen and some other) then a fleece lined cycling jumper type thing (Gill). Keeps me warm but the base layer stinks as I sweat like a pig (I do that anyway regardless of how much or little I wear) so I have been told that the merino wool base layers don't stink so I will get this as a Christmas Pressie. Anyways not sure which would be more appropriate.

This one:
http://www.howies.co.uk/product.php/404/16/

or this one:

http://www.howies.co.uk/product.php/794/16/

Not sure if the first would be too heavy or conversely would the second be too light in colder weather. My own instincts are telling me to get the first however not having much experience of cycling in the cold and definitely having never worn merino wool before not really sure.

Any advice appreciated.

andygates

I'd get the light unless you're a skinny get who feels the cold.

mondobongo

Über Member
I have the first one on your list it is not thick at all great piece of winter kit, fits like a glove. Its versatile as well wear it under a short sleeved jersey autumn and spring. Had mine 3 years and after a lot of use has just developed a small hole in the shoulder it will probably last another 2 winters so really is value for your pennies.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Sold mondobongo. That's what I was looking for, someone who had used one and could advise re: how thick they really were. I had guessed there probably wasn't a huge difference in the 2 given the small difference in price. I think I will go for the thicker as you recommend as I am not particularly heavy and don't like the cold. Would rather roast as my journey isn't that long that it matters overly if I get a bit warm.

String vest - I think Rab C Nesbitt - I think reputation lost forever. Just couldn't bring myself to wear one even if it got the greatest reviews ever - lol.

Top Bottom