Which "inexpensive" bibshorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Westwardbound

As the title really. I am looking at DHB Earnley (£35.99 from Wiggle); Santini Top (£45 from Prendas); or Shutt VR Std (£29 less 10%). Any views or experiences welcomed of these or any other bibshorts in the £30 to £45 or so price range!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
DHB stuff is good and I've got some, but my money goes on the Shutt VR kit these days. I have a pair of std's from them and a pair of Pro's.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The pad in the Shutt standard is wider & thicker than the one in the DHB (at least, in the Earnleys, they may have changed it). The lycra is better quality (satin, not shiny) and they have a mesh back (not sure if the DHB have this or not, blurb only mentions mesh in the straps).

Shutt are a little shorter than most in the leg - it looks good (apparently) but I do keep looking down & wondering if I've rolled my shorts up.

nmcgann

Veteran
The Santini Tops are good. I've had 2 pairs for over a year and they've worn really well, even subjected to a winter's hard turbo training. I've just bought a 3rd pair.

I've got a pair of the dhbs too. They have been ok-ish, but the leg elastic is going a bit baggy and the pad isn't great. I wouldn't buy more of them, the Santinis are much better.

OP
OP
W

Westwardbound

Thanks. I hadn't considered Tenn, they seem very reasonably priced. The website is a little lacking in detail on the chamois - is it similar to DHB Earnley (Coolmax); Santini Top (Top Professional); and Shutt VR Std (Coolmax)? If so they're a real bargain.

John the Monkey said:
Shutt are a little shorter than most in the leg - it looks good (apparently) but I do keep looking down & wondering if I've rolled my shorts up.

Shutt call it the 'Sean Yates' look - it puts me off buying a pair (plus they only go up to a 36" waist ...). That said they do seem to be excellent value.

OP
OP
W

Westwardbound

I have ordered the Shutt VR standard bibshorts (plus a clearance shirt and buff for good measure). I'll put a review up after a couple of good rides. Now mulling over the Santini's as well - maybe next month. Thanks again.

Top Bottom