Which is most TIME efficient

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An Alu Aero Frame (with road bike handlebars) or a Carbon Road racing bike.

The sole purpose for the bike would be TTs, Sprint and Olympic Tris. (no training or general riding)

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Note

VamP

Banned
Assuming flat courses aero beats weight. If you're not goin any longer than olympic then comfort is not really a consideration, so I would be looking at alu. Getting a good aero position is more important than the aero-ness of the bike, so make sure you get the sizing right, and learn to ride in a good aero position.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Assuming flat courses aero beats weight. If you're not goin any longer than olympic then comfort is not really a consideration, so I would be looking at alu. Getting a good aero position is more important than the aero-ness of the bike, so make sure you get the sizing right, and learn to ride in a good aero position.

The thing is that most TT/tri-specific bikes are now carbon by default, in fact it's almost harder to get an alu TT frame these days. And you cannot get a normal road bike set up quite as well for use with tri-bars; the frame geometry is different. Mind you, you have to get used to the riding position...

I would recommend Planet-X for the best value around in this area, although I would wait for their sales or specific special offers (there aren't any on their TT/tri bikes or frames right now), when you can often get a real bargain.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Thanks for the reply. This question was posed on behalf of my other half who is in a bit of dilemma.
He might venture to a Half IM but guess not many or often. I know you cant be very comfortable on a TT bike for 100m+! :eek:

There are a few aero frames (with road bike handlebars-set up) around and this is what he was considering, but for the money you could get a carbon road (and add Tri/Aero bars) so I was wondering if it was a better choice.

I need to find out when Planet x sales are. He has seen a Trek Speed Concept 2.5 for a good price but reviews are mixed with regards to Apex gearing and specs, although frame seems to be very good. But we'd rather get the right bike for the right price than the wrong bike and spend more in upgrades....

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I need to find out when Planet x sales are. He has seen a Trek Speed Concept 2.5 for a good price but reviews are mixed with regards to Apex gearing and specs, although frame seems to be very good. But we'd rather get the right bike for the right price than the wrong bike and spend more in upgrades....

You just have to keep a constant eye on the Planet-X site - they often have limited time offers. I got my Stealth carbon TT frame for half what was already the sale price, and that was from just happening to check the website...

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

You just have to keep a constant eye on the Planet-X site - they often have limited time offers. I got my Stealth carbon TT frame for half what was already the sale price, and that was from just happening to check the website...

OMG :eek: you lucky person!! :thumbsup:

Just subscribed him to Planet x Email list! :biggrin:

Actually just realized you are in Canada so in truth in the UK they never discount as much as 50% :sad:

VamP

Banned
[quote/]
Actually just realized you are in Canada so in truth in the UK they never discount as much as 50% :sad:[/quote]

Oh they do - you just have to be on the ball and lucky with the sizing.

Has he not got another bike he could use as a donor and just build up TT frame? Presumably he'll be looking at aero wheels at some point too - again PX comes up trumps if you keep on top of the offers.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Has he not got another bike he could use as a donor and just build up TT frame? Presumably he'll be looking at aero wheels at some point too - again PX comes up trumps if you keep on top of the offers.

This is good advice. I actually bought my frame on sale at the same time that I bought a complete second hand TT bike on Kijiji - crappy frame which was not my size but with top quality parts. I stripped the parts, and used them to build my bike around the new PX frame. Result: one mean Stealth machine, at a total cost of about $1000 CAN (or 650 GBP), which would have cost me at least double that all new.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you know exactly what you are doing, PX are good, good value for money!

If you need some assistance or require an opinion that is not one of indifference, then I am afraid I can NOT recommend them!

*Speaking only from my own experience

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If you know exactly what you are doing, PX are good, good value for money!

If you need some assistance or require an opinion that is not one of indifference, then I am afraid I can NOT recommend them!

*Speaking only from my own experience

They were nothing but awesome with me and always have been. I'll admit I have heard of other experiences though.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

He has a relatively new road bike which he intends to keep for training and dedicate new bike to racing only.

Build the bike route is not going to work and he has very limited knowledge on mechanics so would have to pay someone to build it too a no no...

Ok will keep an eye for Xplanet sale cant be too far as we will soon be end of summer.

Sent from my Galaxy Note

Arsen Gere

Über Member
My 2p. FWIW.
My fastest tt's I've done on a £600 alu road bike with clip on tri bars (Boardman), my fastest bike section on a Oly was a carbon tt bike. I don't think it matters too much till you start to get faster say over 25mph average.(Not me any more).
Plus you battle with comfort on a tt bike. I've done long rides on tt bike in training (100 miler) and found it hurt my shoulders, arms and hands (weight too far forward, bars too low). I've also done long rides on a carbon road bike (Boardman again - 130 miles) and found it much more comfortable for no difference in average speed.
I'm lucky enough to have a choice between a carbon road bike and a carbon tt bike for this weeks Ironman, I'm going for the road bike for comfort, it's lighter and it descends better . If I average over 19mph ( which I doubt I'll do ) over 112 miles I'll be very pleased.
Ergonomics vs Aerodynamics, its a trade off. But you'll get a bigger range of use out of a road bike. (Randonee's etc).

BTW I've waited for 12 months for Planet-X to tell me what size bike I need, two visits to the shop, 4 phone calls and many emails - nothing.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
BTW I've waited for 12 months for Planet-X to tell me what size bike I need, two visits to the shop, 4 phone calls and many emails - nothing.

Similar to my issue with them, they would not commit to recommending a size or giving any opinion either way and basically saying "it's your choice". Which already knew, I just wanted an opinion and I had already spoken to them on the phone (twice, including that day) so they knew I was travelling over to them so it wasn't a surprise to them yet they seemed surprised to see me. They had the bike on a turbo and a member of staff assisting me and supposedly sizing me up but the assistant was completely indifferent. Needless to say they lost my business.

Top Bottom