Which is worse ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I was cycling along this road between Avely and Upminster about 5:30 yesterday. I only had one close pass, but 3 drivers gave me so much room that they made oncoming drivers; stop, flash their lights and hoot.
I am not sure which I would rather have, a close pass or 2 cars in a head on collision 10 foot in front of me !
No film as I had just done 50 miles and I can't film that long.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
They are equally worse, you shouldn't overtake if it isn't save to do so.

From the point of view of a cyclist, i still wouldn't like either, depending on how close the pass was, i would prefer that.

You should try riding a recumbent trike, they try to drive up the opposite embankment to stay away from you, I find they treat me like a car carrying explosives.

I have always used the following maxim - 'If they have time to flash their lights, or sound the horn, they haven't been inconvenienced.' If the driver is really upset, he'll have smoke pouring off locked tyres!

400bhp

Guru
xpc316e said:
I have always used the following maxim - 'If they have time to flash their lights, or sound the horn, they haven't been inconvenienced.' If the driver is really upset, he'll have smoke pouring off locked tyres!

Exactly

These scenarios the horn is ususlly used in admonishment by the self righteous.

I often get this in my rear view when overtaking on single carriageway roads:wacko:

Tynan

Veteran
no harm at all in bringing to someone's attention that their driving is inconsiderate and even dangerous

buggi

Bird Saviour
i rather have the wide berth. if they choose to write themselves off rather than me that's fine. altho i do feel sorry for anyone they hit oncoming.

you can't be responsible for people's decision to overtake when it's unsafe.

buggi said:
you can't be responsible for people's decision to overtake when it's unsafe.
But you can unfortunately bare the brunt of the outcome :blush:

Jezston

Über Member
Is it wrong that I sometimes find it a little ... patronising when someone gives me a particularly wide berth?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
mr_cellophane said:
I was cycling along this road between Avely and Upminster about 5:30 yesterday. I only had one close pass, but 3 drivers gave me so much room that they made oncoming drivers; stop, flash their lights and hoot.
I am not sure which I would rather have, a close pass or 2 cars in a head on collision 10 foot in front of me !
No film as I had just done 50 miles and I can't film that long.

The close pass, that is the one that really puts you in danger...

The biggest problem is that there are so many morons out there who really shouldn't have a driving licence, they are a danger to them selves and others.

Top Bottom