Which ladies bike out of these 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alioli9

Hi
Which bike should I buy ? time for a good upgrade, Lady rider, Scott CR1 Contessa 2010, Specialized Ruby Comp 2010 ? help please !!!!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Well the Scott has the better components and is lighter. The Scott is also racier by the look of it and is minus the fork, seat stay and seat post zerts vibration dampers so will likely be a less comfortable ride. Personally I'd actually go for the Ruby as it's far better looking. 105 is a good component level and you can always upgrade to Ultegra or equivalent as components wear out.

What is the intended use? Fast sprinting bike or fast long distance bike?

EDIT : and I may stand corrected on this but the Ruby looks to have a better wheel set.

bauldbairn

Hello alioli9 and Welcome to the CC forums. :smile:

I wouldn't like to even start with recommendations for womans bikes - but those are some very nice bikes you've chosen. :biggrin:

I'm sure a few more woman members will be along with their views shortly. :biggrin:

OP
OP
A

alioli9

Hi
Which bike should I buy ? time for a good upgrade, Lady rider, Scott CR1 Contessa 2010, Specialized Ruby Comp 2010 ? help please !!!!

Thanks for the info

I do quite a few miles here in Cheshire as well as some good hills as I live on the edge of the peak district so the Cat & Fiddle road is good training, I need to choose a bike in the next couple of weeks, do you think the extra £600 for the Scott CR1 Contessa is worth the extra spec ? I don't know enough about the technical stuff to compare properly, I need all the help I can get with hills and miles !!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Thanks for the info

I do quite a few miles here in Cheshire as well as some good hills as I live on the edge of the peak district so the Cat & Fiddle road is good training, I need to choose a bike in the next couple of weeks, do you think the extra £600 for the Scott CR1 Contessa is worth the extra spec ? I don't know enough about the technical stuff to compare properly, I need all the help I can get with hills and miles !!

The components on both bikes are great. The only real difference being the Ultegra will be slightly harder wearing, lighter and it has internal cable routing; so no brake cables blossoming from the shifters. Although to us mortals it's only an aesthetic rather than a quarter of a second speed boost.

Gearing wise there is a slight difference. The Scott has both a lower bottom gear and a higher top gear but this could mean that it's harder to find the sweet spot when at crusing pace. The advantage is that you've got a one tooth advantage when on a hard climb and a one tooth speed advantage on a descent.

Overall it's a bit of a tit for tat between the two bikes both of which are very good. Personally I'd advise you call the shop, get them both in and take them for a buzz to see how they feel. Would I pay the £600 more for the Scott, nah I don't like the colour scheme! :smile: I'd get the Ruby and blow the extra £600 on a cracking pair of wheels if it was burning a hole in my pocket. Wheels are where most bikes are compromised and where the manufactures cut costs. Also with the tit for tat in mind and considering you maybe riding long distances the Ruby is likely to be the most comforatable due to the zerts and carbon seat post, the Scott has an aluminium seatpost.

Sorry if this is information overload for you. :rolleyes:

Abs

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Done a bit of digging on the wheels. The Scott actually has the better wheels although I don't know how you are with tubeless cinchers. I have no experience of them myself so can't make comment.

e-rider

crappy member
Ultegra will not be harder wearing as said by HaloJ - high end components usually wear out much quicker than mid-range components - the focus is on weight and performance, not durability!

e-rider

crappy member
Curious to know why you have the need to spend this kind of money as you sound like a beginner/occassional rider - surely a cheaper starting bike at say £700 would make much more sense; unless you have money to burn of course!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Try test riding both of them, then buy the one that feels the best, at the end of the day if the fame geometry is right for you everything else can be changed.

OP
OP
A

alioli9

Try test riding both of them, then buy the one that feels the best, at the end of the day if the fame geometry is right for you everything else can be changed.

Hi

Thanks for all of your comments, I am going to get the Ruby Comp, thanks for the great help & advice.

In reply to the comment why spend so much as an occasional rider, I started cycling on my old 9 year Appollo bike 2 years ago, after a while other more experienced cyclists kept suggesting that I upgrade due to the miles & hills that I was doing, just to make my rides more enjoyable..

I then got a Specialized Sirrus to do a London to Paris ride which was great, but then I got hooked on cycling.

It is deffo Carbon for me and women specific, I don't really drink anymore (drunk after 2) don't smoke, have lost 2 stone & feel great, so I am going to have what I want. (no shoes or handbags for me just a great new bike !!)

Thanks again for your help.

JB

Top Bottom