Which Loch - Affric, Mullardoch or Monar? For cycling and wild camp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elioelio

Hi there,
I'm doing a 4 day cycle from Fort William to Inverness, camping. First stop will be at loch Quoich where I'll wild camp. Second either at Fort Augustus or Drumnadrochit. Then....? I think Loch Affric looks amazing! But now I've found out that the route to Loch Monar (Glen Strathfarrer) is limited with it's cars, which sounds perfect for a cyclist. If I stay on Affric it's possible I'll be able to do a bit of Glen Strathfarrer the next day - but probably only 5-10 miles in or so.
I'm so bad with decisions. If you've been to these places do you have a favourite?
Thanks!

ScotiaLass

Guru
I live in Scotland, although not that area but have visited most of it over the years.
I'd struggle to make a choice! They are all beautiful :smile:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I cycled the length of Loch Quoich at Easter and it was one of my favourite rides ever. It helped that it was sunny with blue sky :sun:. Keep going right to the end (down the steep hill) and you might be lucky enough to find one of the locals serving tea and cake.

There's no need to take the main A82 through Drumnadrochit. You can cycle on minor roads on the other side of Loch Ness all the way to Inverness. If you're running short of time to get to Inverness a boat service has started this season from Fort Augustus to Inverness which will take bikes. I think there are only a couple of services a day so check for times.

OP
OP
E

Elioelio

Hey thanks for your replies. I think I might try and do Affric and Strathfarrar.
Helen D123 I have to go past Drumnadrochit to get to loch Affric and Strathfarrar. I was hoping there would be a ferrt between the south side of loch ness and Drumnadrochit but doesn't look like it.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Hey thanks for your replies. I think I might try and do Affric and Strathfarrar.
Helen D123 I have to go past Drumnadrochit to get to loch Affric and Strathfarrar. I was hoping there would be a ferrt between the south side of loch ness and Drumnadrochit but doesn't look like it.

I'm pretty sure there's a ferry from Drum. Think it goes to somewhere like Inverfarigaig. Never used it but a lot of the TGO challengers who walk across Scotland every May mention it in their blog posts.

Top Bottom