Which lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

OK, seems since the move from the old C+ site (Sorry for those of you who are not from there) no one has asked about locks. So I'm going to be the first. Although it's mainly out of laziness, as I can't be bothered to research locks my self.

I'm looking for a lock for my sons bike, needs to be light weight have a way of attaching it to the bike and be very easy to use. The lock only needs to be a deterant, so no need for a hard core D-lock, a standard cable lock will be fine, but not a silly cheap Tesco value type one, I'm looking to spend £20-30. As it's main use will be locking the bike at his school, which is already quite secure, with a secondary use as and extra lock if we go out togther, the main lock been my Bordo.

To summarize, the lock should be
  • Light
  • Come with frame/seatpost attachment
  • Be of a coil style design
  • Have lots of keys, as you know what childern are like (or atl east 2, so I can have a spare one, and get it copied when need be)
  • Minimuim of 12mm think, so it has at least some strength to it

Maz

Guru
I have a nice lock made by BASTA that would fit that description. It has a feature such that the key stays in the barrel until the other end of the cable is clicked into place. The key is then released, making it less likey to lose the key. It cost about £15 and has served me well. Has a nice simple mounting bracket too. I'll try and find a picture/link to one...

mosschops2

Re. cable locks. I took one off an old MTB - it was "securing" the quick release seat to the frame, and I've long since lost the keys. I think it was approx a 6mm cable. I went at it with a junior hacksaw - I think it took 20-25 seconds. Seriously poor. I'd recommend you / he would be better off with a cheap D lock to secure the frame to something solid - the smaller the better too. In any event, I recall from numerous C+ youtube links, there isn't much that will stop a real bike thief, or even slow them down much. But a cable IMO is not your best option.....

Having said that (ha ha) I bought one, which I think is 12mm, which I use in combination with my D lock, when securing the bike to lamposts etc. Also to go through the quick release front wheel. However in my case, the main deterrent is that by bike is a completely basic bottom end hybrid, complete with full mudguards etc. Which is enough to make it not-worth-the-effort.....

I bought the steel security cable (27446) for £4.47. Note that this normally sells at £10-£15!! Note there are other more expensive ones there, which are doubtless better....

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

For any one interested I have ordered one of these fully meets all my requirements, and comes with a key with a light built in, which I'm sure my son will think is great. And also very cheap I think.

Tynan

Veteran
I hate locks, the more you spend on them the heavier they get and they're never secure against a proper thief

I don't mind leaving one at either end of the journey, using a cheap as chips coiled cable with a ten pence padlock at themo although it is a secure carpark, might upgrade that padlock though, rusted to bits and getting a bit sticky

bonj2

second what mosschops said, you say you only want it as a deterrent but most cheap thinnish cable locks are only a deterrent to the complete opportunist thief, they're not much of a deterrent to your chav with his B&Q value boltcroppers. When you use a d-lock or at least a thicker more expensive cable lock, you're going to probably need power tools.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

RRSODL said:
BTW Alcdrew, why do you bother asking for advise? It is obvious you don't take any :rolleyes:

Rick

:biggrin: Please, I take advice; but only if people are telling me what I want to hear :blush:

And I quite understand and agree with what most people are saying. Cable locks are no where near as good as a proper D lock. But the lock I'm/ was looking for is as I said in my OP is mainly going to be used at my son's school. Which is pretty secure any way, could probably get away without even using a lock; but I'm not brave enough to test that out. And a secondary use to be used in conjunction with a more secure [url='http://www.abus-bordo.com/gb/default.htm] solid silver, lock[/url] when we go out together, for which I did want a quality cable lock, for securing wheels etc...

Mr Phoebus

Once you've got a decent lock then you have to think about just how secure is the thing it's locked up to?
Ol' Boris Johnson had his nicked, the thieves used a huge stake to break the thick iron railing it was chained to.
Sometimes you just can't win.

Top Bottom