Which lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam2008

Hi
When I got my bike the cycle shop obviously greased it all but now having bike about 150 miles, the grease went all thick and black.
Any advice on the best type of lube?
Thanks
Adam

I recommend Finish Line Dry Lube if you usually ride in dry weather. If you ride in all conditions, use Finish Line Wet Lube, then change to Dry Lube during the summer.

Remember, the key to long life and happiness is to wash your bike and clean your chain regularly!

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Is that the one with Teflon in?
Sorry to sound stupid but I was told to apply it to my chain with my fingers and then wipe off the excess. But how am I putting it on the cassette without getting it everywhere? And is this the best method of lubing up?

Mortiroloboy

Finish line Pro Road, the ONLY chain lube you'll EVER need, apply it directly to each link, by dropping it from the nozzle, run the chain over ALL the rear cogs and front chain rings, wipe off excess from the chain by turning it whilst holding some blue towel or similar and running the chain through it.(there shouldn't be too much of this as you apply it sparingly in the first place) then re-apply a second application in a couple of days to benefit from the ceramic wotsit stuff it contains...and Hey presto, smooth running clean changing drivetrain, it will go black as it attracts a certain amount of road grime and the metal of the chain and running gear interface (this is perfectly normal. As dmoan points out the key is to keep your drivetrain looking sparkly new, by REGULAR cleaning, this will be dictated by the amount of use/miles/weather conditions, your bike is ridden in.;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Don't do what I did once and let it drip on to the rear wheel rim, it made for interesting braking...:biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
+1 for Finish Line Pro Road from me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
+2 for Finish line Pro dry - use it all the time, even comunting in the wet - if it's been really wet on my commute, I'll give the chain a quick squirt at work !!

It does wash off but it's great stuff !

Dave5N

Über Member
Oil. You need a lubricant between metal moving surfaces, with fatty acids to adsorb to the steel surface.

Fancy chain stuff does it. Cheap oil does it better.

There is a lot of pressure on chain links - if 3-in-1 is too low tech for you, try gear oil.

Dave5N

Über Member
Teflon has a very low friction coefficient. ie, it's slippy.

Smoking Joe is right though. It doesn't work if it isn't actually in there between the moving parts. Teflon lubricants don't get the teflon stuck to your bits so to speak.

Top Bottom