Which maps? (Europe)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben M

Hey all.

Me and two friends are touring this summer. The route is:

Bristol-Harwich
Harwich-Holland ferry
Then south through Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, then into France and to Strasbourg. It looks a bit like this:

route.png

What advice can you offer map wise?

Penfold

Try these......

http://www.mapkiosk.com/pages/keuro_france_100k.html

Decent scale and all very new.

DOH !!

Just looked at your intended route... pmsl....Well if you do go to France...

Comatosed

I've a friend who lives in Luxembourg, and I've been over there a few times. If you need any specific detials let me know and I'll try and help you out. There's a very good youth hostel in the city centre by the castle.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It looks like the German bit you are doing is along the Rhine. If so, you want the relevant part (I think Part 2) of the Bikeline guide to the Rheinradweg, Pub Esterbauer Verlag. You will be able to pick it up in any German bookshop along the route and almost certainly in Luxemburg.

OP
OP
Ben M

Ben M

This looks like a bit of a nightmare... are maps of whole countries not detailed enough?

Comatosed said:
I've a friend who lives in Luxembourg, and I've been over there a few times. If you need any specific detials let me know and I'll try and help you out. There's a very good youth hostel in the city centre by the castle.
Thanks, that's appreciated, you may well be hearing from me nearer to route-planning time.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
They're detailed enough if you are prepared to go by town names and hope you find them signed on bike paths. Otherwise you are likely to end up cycling on busy roads. Books/maps aimed at cyclists put you clearly where you need to be. In any event for the Netherlands and Germany the amount of mapping you need will be physically small (dunno about Lux and Bel though) and don't forget that you can post maps home once you have used them. If you want to do the route on just two guidebooks then follow the Rhine from Rotterdam (and the Dutch bike routes are signed from the Hook to Rotterdam).

Top Bottom