1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which member of the family is this ?

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by capella lugs, 7 Jul 2016.

1. I bought yet another member of the Carlton / Raleigh etc clan a few weeks back. I bought it online, thinking it was a Carlton, when in fact it is a cousin, but I dont know which cousin !
    The most obvious clue to what it is, are the chromed 'shrouds' on the shoulder of the front forks - but I havent seen these before. It is missing its headbadge, and the rivet holes are 'above and below', whereas the Carlton has rivet holes on the sides of the sides. The frame has that same 'loop'around the base of the seatpost, as seen in many older Carltons. The Dropouts are forged , and the frame feels very light. Any info / opinions etc gratefully received. Cheers.

Attached Files:

odav likes this.
  2. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

normally see those shrouds on bsa'a and rudge's

love that stem

Daddybus likes this.
  3. midlife

midlife Veteran

Looks like a Raleigh Gran Sort with the Wrapround seat stays?

62-gran-sport.gif

Shaun

raleighnut and Spokesmann like this.
  4. Thanks for those suggestions and leads - I'll go hunting !
    - And I agree with you biggs 682 - that is a very snappy looking stem ! - photo attached. (its a Milremo )

Attached Files:

biggs682 likes this.
  5. Daddybus

Daddybus Senior Member

BSA forks at least (see PIC).... Raleigh headbadge is usually 3 rivits ...sun is 2 rivits vertically spaced -what (or where) is the serial number? IMG_20160707_233548.jpg

6. Those BSA forks look a 'dead ringer' for the ones on this bike. The serial number is K4124 and is stamped on top of the bottom bracket housing of the left hand side (as seen from a rider's point of view ). And the headbadge rivets are vertically spaced. Cheers

7. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

of for a cold shower

8. Daddybus

Daddybus Senior Member

If it is BSA I think the older cast style head badges may have vertically spaced rivits ..which would put this in the fifties?? Perhaps one of the golden models...

9. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

I'd say most of the stuff on it has been changed over the years. BSA was a "cooking" brand and would have had more mundane equipment, if it is indeed a beezer.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2016
  10. One more small clue ! - the distance between the (vertically aligned) headbadge rivet holes is very very close to 6cm ( 2.36 inches ) . Cheers !

11. Daddybus

Daddybus Senior Member

Cant see any rivits on my bsa badge??? But you can rule out a SUN I know they are vertically 8cm apart...

12. Just for the record - it seems that the bike / bicycle/cycle in question is indeed an early 60's member of the clan 'SUN' - I have found other references to the areas of chrome on the main frame, as well as the derailleur clamps and levers which are on the frame, (which could be substitutes of course). I still dont know what year it is, but that is not a worry. Thanks for your recent input !

13. A further update - have found that the 'Milremo' stem was in fact the original stem fitted to some models of Sun cycles for a period of their manufacture - very strange decision to do something so 'outside the square', but apparently that was what happened !

Last edited: 28 Dec 2016