Which member of the family is this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought yet another member of the Carlton / Raleigh etc clan a few weeks back. I bought it online, thinking it was a Carlton, when in fact it is a cousin, but I dont know which cousin !
The most obvious clue to what it is, are the chromed 'shrouds' on the shoulder of the front forks - but I havent seen these before. It is missing its headbadge, and the rivet holes are 'above and below', whereas the Carlton has rivet holes on the sides of the sides. The frame has that same 'loop'around the base of the seatpost, as seen in many older Carltons. The Dropouts are forged , and the frame feels very light. Any info / opinions etc gratefully received. Cheers.

Attachments

• 476976752.jpg
    476976752.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 476977159.jpg
    476977159.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 476977798.jpg
    476977798.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF3714.JPG
    DSCF3714.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 89

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
normally see those shrouds on bsa'a and rudge's

love that stem

Daddybus

Über Member
BSA forks at least (see PIC).... Raleigh headbadge is usually 3 rivits ...sun is 2 rivits vertically spaced -what (or where) is the serial number?
IMG_20160707_233548.jpg

Those BSA forks look a 'dead ringer' for the ones on this bike. The serial number is K4124 and is stamped on top of the bottom bracket housing of the left hand side (as seen from a rider's point of view ). And the headbadge rivets are vertically spaced. Cheers

Daddybus

Über Member
Those BSA forks look a 'dead ringer' for the ones on this bike. The serial number is K4124 and is stamped on top of the bottom bracket housing of the left hand side (as seen from a rider's point of view ). And the headbadge rivets are vertically spaced. Cheers
If it is BSA I think the older cast style head badges may have vertically spaced rivits ..which would put this in the fifties?? Perhaps one of the golden models...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd say most of the stuff on it has been changed over the years. BSA was a "cooking" brand and would have had more mundane equipment, if it is indeed a beezer.

Last edited:
Just for the record - it seems that the bike / bicycle/cycle in question is indeed an early 60's member of the clan 'SUN' - I have found other references to the areas of chrome on the main frame, as well as the derailleur clamps and levers which are on the frame, (which could be substitutes of course). I still dont know what year it is, but that is not a worry. Thanks for your recent input !

A further update - have found that the 'Milremo' stem was in fact the original stem fitted to some models of Sun cycles for a period of their manufacture - very strange decision to do something so 'outside the square', but apparently that was what happened !

Last edited:
Top Bottom