Which mickle method lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been looking at the mickle method for looking after my chain and figure this is what i'll stick with.

My question is which lube is best to use?

I'm mainly on the road and (sometimes muddy / gritty) cycle paths if that helps.

Several products get good ratings on W*ggle so the vast choice is confusing.

Also, I have a bottle of 'wet lube' from Decathon - is that better than nothing cos i'm due out on a ride tomorrow evening?

Cheers, Neil

something is better than nothing - unless the chain is already well lubed - in which case nothing is better than something. Either way, I wouldn't let something as minor as a lack of suitable chain lube keep you from riding...

Cubist

Still wavin'
Finish Line Dry Teflon is a good choice in my opinion. It lubes the drivetrain, but doesn't attract grit and mud like wet lube does. Keep checking and apply it regularly, especially after wet rides.

HovR

Über Member
Another Finish Line Dry user here - Excellent lube for the dry, or mildly damp - However count on re-applying after every wet ride.

Regarding GT85, it will lube a chain, but doesn't have as much staying power as an actual chain lube, so will need to be applied often. It also gathers road dirt and allows it to stick to the chain, causing accelerated wear.

So basically it has the disadvantages of both dry lubes and wet lubes, with none of the advantages. I guess it's cheaper though.

HovR

Über Member
I didn't notice 2012 featuring desert conditions. Finish Line Wet lube for me.

Apart from those 2 weeks about a month ago! :tongue:

In all seriousness, FL dry is a great low maintenance option for a bike that doesn't see heavy rain. For my mountain bike which does see bad weather I'll be switching to FL wet.

Top Bottom