Which mid range direct drive trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
I'm almost ready to upgrade my indoor trainer from a Tacx Flow.
Any recommends from user experience on direct drive trainers would be appreciated?
I'm leaning towards the Elite Direto after watching Youtube reviews from the usual contributors.
Tacx flux S is another contender as is the Kickr Core (although it does push over budget).
Is the Zwift experience much enhanced by moving to direct drive?

I'm almost ready to upgrade my indoor trainer from a Tacx Flow.
Any recommends from user experience on direct drive trainers would be appreciated?
I'm leaning towards the Elite Direto after watching Youtube reviews from the usual contributors.
Tacx flux S is another contender as is the Kickr Core (although it does push over budget).
Is the Zwift experience much enhanced by moving to direct drive?
If you can, buy from a retailer where you can take it back and dump it on the shop counter when it breaks. Otherwise you have to pack 20kg back up to send away.
Loads of them are plagued by mechanical issues, including the one I bought.
I went from a Bkool pro to a Drivo, and have been very pleased with the transition. If you like to use ERG mode a lot, then read all the reviews carefully as some brands and models are known to respond a bit slowly to this mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
Erg mode is high on the list of reasons for upgrade. The tacx flow can be a bit choppy at the top end now that my sprint output has improved. Halfords has the Direto at a good price, Bike Shed has the kickr core both locally.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Sound advice from @tincaman regarding warranty’s. It seems like even the more expensive trainers have a failure rate that makes a 2 year guarantee appealing.

Regarding going direct drive I’d personally recommend you doing so. The performance upgrade is very noticeable. The only reason not to go direct drive is budget related in my opinion.

Both the trainers you’re looking at review well.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Erg mode is high on the list of reasons for upgrade. The tacx flow can be a bit choppy at the top end now that my sprint output has improved. Halfords has the Direto at a good price, Bike Shed has the kickr core both locally.
I bought my NEO2 from Halfords; the first unit failed and Halfords changed it without a single quibble. Excellent service! Join British Cycling and you get an extra discount too, so long as you pick the unit up from store. As others have said, having the real shop front, if something goes wrong, is worth it and takes some of the hassle out of the process :okay:

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
Thanks for the advice. The Direto is leading the pack, Halfords + BC discount makes it £200 cheaper than the Kickr core. However frugelness has been wrestling with conscience & prevented me hitting the reserve button. This will be a temporary hinderence that usual passes when Swmbo buys more shoes/clothes & the guilty feeling disipates in a whisp^_^

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
My hesitance is proving costly, the Direto at Halfords has jumped up by £50 this week.
The list of 'exclusions' for BC discount at Evans includes turbo trainers (amongst many other cycling items).
The Tacx Flow will have to work on whilst we watch the prices fluctuate for a while.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
My hesitance is proving costly, the Direto at Halfords has jumped up by £50 this week.
The list of 'exclusions' for BC discount at Evans includes turbo trainers (amongst many other cycling items).
The Tacx Flow will have to work on whilst we watch the prices fluctuate for a while.
Moving into the indoor cycling season .... best time to buy a trainer is probably early summer :okay:

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
Moving into the indoor cycling season .... best time to buy a trainer is probably early summer :okay:
I'm also looking for a set of full length winter bibs at the wrong time of year. Mrs Newts has advised me not to go out of the house in daylight hours in the current set, they've gone a bit see through after 3 winters

Halfords,
Direto is £600
Drivo is £100 less than last week at £600 too.
I've had the Drivo since January and have been very pleased with it. There are possible issues with early failure of the unit but if you buy Retail then you can easily return it

Milzy

Guru
You’d be fine with the Direto just a little noisier than others. Personally I’d stretch for the core. It’s so compact & light for what it does.

Milzy

Guru
I'm leaning toward the Kickr Core, big fan of my other Wahoo bits, sensors & Elemnt mini.
No discount available for the core via BC, which means LBS will likely get a sale :-)
I rode one on my bike fit & would swap my Neo for it.

Top Bottom