Which mobile network should I swap to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another vote for giff gaff , whole family is on it so its easy for me to keep track of paymenst etc , i could probably get a cheaper deal but im not tied into a contract

midlife

Guru
I'm not sure about giffgaff and travelling around Europe. I know that to text from the USA you pay an additional fee above the monthly payment. Similarly there is an extra fee to pay for pictures in texts.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm not sure about giffgaff and travelling around Europe. I know that to text from the USA you pay an additional fee above the monthly payment. Similarly there is an extra fee to pay for pictures in texts.
depends how much use you use your phone £6 is the smallest goody bag package as they call it with 500 mb of data 300 mins and 500 texts a month so you can turn on mobile data to send for pictures
usa is expensive
europe ...
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Using-your-mobile-abroad/ta-p/3522931
large?v=1.jpg

DRHysted

Guru
Another vote for Tesco who use the O2 network. The Tesco Rocketpack allows you to vary your monthly purchase between £5 and £20 according to your needs.

Generally I find mobile data is a very small part of my usage. Wifi is available everywhere so make use of it. The last 22 days I've used 176mb out of the 500mb I chose to purchase this month.

I don't understand the urge to buy massive amounts of data when wifi is free just about anywhere.

Using free WiFi is a very risky proposition. I wouldn’t risk it myself.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Using free WiFi is a very risky proposition. I wouldn’t risk it myself.

My experience suggests this is not the case. I've been using free wifi on any number of devices for as long as its' been available and not experienced any difficulty.

I feel this is like so many things we are urged to be cautious of; if one is sensible there won't be an issue, if one isn't problems can occur. Much like email or phone scams, only those who don't think will get scammed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My experience suggests this is not the case. I've been using free wifi on any number of devices for as long as its' been available and not experienced any difficulty.

I feel this is like so many things we are urged to be cautious of; if one is sensible there won't be an issue, if one isn't problems can occur. Much like email or phone scams, only those who don't think will get scammed.
If you mean that you only do things like check the weather forecast or what is on the TV later, yes.

Online banking etc. - a very strong NO, unless you take extra precautions!

I saw a TV report once where the reporter and a hacker sat in a cafe and logged what customers were doing on the wifi. They went up to one man afterwards and said that they knew he had £[aaaaaa.aa] in the [bbbbb] bank, his username was [cccccc], his password was [ddddd], he was meeting his wife [eeeee] in 10 minutes at the shop down the road, his cat was called [fffff], his dog was called [ggggg], and his daughter [hhhhh] went to such and such a school. He went white and asked how the hell they knew all that... They explained just how insecure the cafe wifi was!

[This internet security post was brought to you by the man who put his wifi router on a window sill next to a public pavement, with the wifi password clearly visible on the back to everyone who walked by! :whistle: :blush:]

DRHysted

Guru

If you are using free WiFi the only way to come close to secure your connection is to use a VPN. Everything you do over a public WiFi can be intercepted very easily by anyone half IT savy. Not only that but malware can be downloaded without your knowledge which can enable them to take control of your connected item, which they could then infect everyone in your address book.
As I said I wouldn’t take the risk.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Carphone have their own I. D MOBILE

Ive been onit fora few months.
£10 pcm for sim only, 10gig data free txt 200mins and it rolls over..
Coverage in Peterborough is ok and Data is brilliant

I was with O2 for decades and i finally wised up, greedy crap offers

Another vote for Tesco who use the O2 network. The Tesco Rocketpack allows you to vary your monthly purchase between £5 and £20 according to your needs.

Generally I find mobile data is a very small part of my usage. Wifi is available everywhere so make use of it. The last 22 days I've used 176mb out of the 500mb I chose to purchase this month.

I don't understand the urge to buy massive amounts of data when wifi is free just about anywhere.

Security

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you mean that you only do things like check the weather forecast or what is on the TV later, yes.

Online banking etc. - a very strong NO, unless you take extra precautions!

I saw a TV report once where the reporter and a hacker sat in a cafe and logged what customers were doing on the wifi. They went up to one man afterwards and said that they knew he had £[aaaaaa.aa] in the [bbbbb] bank, his username was [cccccc], his password was [ddddd], he was meeting his wife [eeeee] in 10 minutes at the shop down the road, his cat was called [fffff], his dog was called [ggggg], and his daughter [hhhhh] went to such and such a school. He went white and asked how the hell they knew all that... They explained just how insecure the cafe wifi was!

[This internet security post was brought to you by the man who put his wifi router on a window sill next to a public pavement, with the wifi password clearly visible on the back to everyone who walked by! :whistle: :blush:]

When I'm out all I would do is as you describe. Possibly check, email, FB or messenger if something shows but when I'm out at most I'd generally just look at the screen to see what alerts I have. I don't live a life which requires me to check everything every 10 minutes.

Online banking I'd only do at home unless there was a total emergency. Same applies to any other sensitive online work.

I feel online security is a question of being sensible rather than paranoid. It's similar to email and phone scams - think before one acts and avoid the potential problem.

I think phone banking apps are secure over a public WiFi. They use SSL to establish a connection, so much more difficult to crack. Happy to be corrected on this though.

Top Bottom