Which mobility scooter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I think my dad's decided it's time for him to stop driving. He's struggling getting in and out of his car, but I think there may be more to it than that.
Anyway, he's decided he wants to get a mobility scooter, and of course it's fallen to me to organise the whole thing. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them, cos there's absolutely stacks!
He's happy 2nd hand, although I'd go with a dealer I think, rather than private, as I think they replace the batteries. It'd need to be a class 3, with a decent range, I've seen up to 32 miles (although I assume there may be a pinch of salt with that), and be powerful enough to go up a steepish hill.

If anyone has any experience of brands, or suppliers, good, bad and ugly, any advice would be most welcome!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I think my dad's decided it's time for him to stop driving. He's struggling getting in and out of his car, but I think there may be more to it than that.
Anyway, he's decided he wants to get a mobility scooter, and of course it's fallen to me to organise the whole thing. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them, cos there's absolutely stacks!
He's happy 2nd hand, although I'd go with a dealer I think, rather than private, as I think they replace the batteries. It'd need to be a class 3, with a decent range, I've seen up to 32 miles (although I assume there may be a pinch of salt with that), and be powerful enough to go up a steepish hill.

If anyone has any experience of brands, or suppliers, good, bad and ugly, any advice would be most welcome!
Dad got his from this company. Apart from nipping down to the shop and doctors appointments, he went jaunts when it was nice too including a 3 mile climb of 900 feet that I do on my bike so they can definitely get up reasonable hills. His was supposed to have a range of over 30 miles too but he was inclined to charge it after each use so I’m not sure it was ever tested in that respect.

https://www.careco.co.uk/cat-ms03/6-8-mph-mobility-scooters.htm

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Dad got his from this company. Apart from nipping down to the shop and doctors appointments, he went jaunts when it was nice too including a 3 mile climb of 900 feet that I do on my bike so they can definitely get up reasonable hills. His was supposed to have a range of over 30 miles too but he was inclined to charge it after each use so I’m not sure it was ever tested in that respect.

https://www.careco.co.uk/cat-ms03/6-8-mph-mobility-scooters.htm
Thank you Mo, that really useful. Particularly the climb bit, most of what he'd need to do is pretty flat, but of course the docs is up a bit of a whopper!
I don't suppose you happen to know what brand your dad went for?

My wife has two one a pavement scooter which manages steepish hills in the village quite well a range of about 6 miles. The second is more for shopping centres and folds to suitcase size at the push of a button same sort of range, both from livewell , they have a wide range and the service has always been first class

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Without hijacking an important thread........where do you keep them? Especially @downesy as you have 2 of them.
We have a good sized hallway but a good step down. I could lift one down but no way MrsD could.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Thank you Mo, that really useful. Particularly the climb bit, most of what he'd need to do is pretty flat, but of course the docs is up a bit of a whopper!
I don't suppose you happen to know what brand your dad went for?
Sorry, I can't remember which one he picked. I just remember it was a nice dark red colour. He went for one that was mid to high price.

Without hijacking an important thread........where do you keep them? Especially @downesy as you have 2 of them.
We have a good sized hallway but a good step down. I could lift one down but no way MrsD could.
We store the bigger one in the garage under a cover it does break up into 5 parts but we keep it built, the smaller folding one is always in the car boot we have a Berlingo so space is not an issue.
The one in the garage my wife can drive out as we have built a ramp so needs no assistance to use this one, if the car one is used I'm always there to assist as she is unable to drive, hope this helps

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Be aware that there is quite a wide choice of types. My experience is 6 years out of date but I do remember some of the pitfalls.
Mo's dad I think had one of the larger models which are capable of 8mph max with larger wheels and a wide wheelbase. There are some of those advertised as suitable for off road use.
The pavement ones are limited to 4mph and some can be folded [ours was] for car transport.
The one we had which my wife hated was certainly capable of climbing fairly steep hills which I would now find difficult to cycle up. It did have a rather narrow wheelbase which is common in the smaller ones and I was not happy turning sharp corners as it felt unstable.
There was a fatal accident here recently with somebody who had just got one and overturned it when cornering too fast. Beyond that I have no detail.
There was one person here who lived near the top of the town and used it regularly for shopping at the bottom of the hill.
There are also powered wheelchairs which I don't think you want but again somebody here uses one to get about the town with success and it also goes on buses and ferries to Oban.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
As I mentioned in the OP. It's definitely an 8mph road one he wants. It's not going to need to fold or come apart, it's not going to go in the back of a car, if it needs to be taken any distance I'll get ramps and chuck it in the van. Plus, as pointed out, the narrower wheel base on them would concern me when it came to their stability. He only ever really goes to Lidl to do his shopping, so it wouldn't need to be a dinky one to negotiate artisan blown glass ornament shops or anything like that.
I'd guess he's knocking around 20st, so needs something pretty sturdy, and he'll be able to put it straight into the shed where it will charge, so we don't need to worry about having to get it up steps or anything like that.
I was having a look at some all terrain ones, I'm not that convinced about their off-road abilities, but there are some gravelly sections and speed bumps on the way out of where he lives, then he'd have some dropped kerbs to negotiate on the way to the shops. I would imagine that the better suspension and ground clearance might make these worth a squint because of that?
You're right about the choice @oldwheels a lot of models and a lot of manufacturers, and I'm pretty certain they're not all created equal.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Definitely look at something stable, as even pavements can be a nightmare, especially going past dropped curbs. MIL had two 'lightweight' folding ones that were useless for anything more than a shopping centre - she couldn't get down the road in one as it wasn't terribly stable - very narrow and she was heavy. FIL did struggle getting them in the car even though it split in three.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've been looking at these types of things.

https://www.mobilitygiant.co.uk/products/galaxy-roadmaster-plus-4-80820a186

https://www.mobilitygiant.co.uk/products/pride-colt-executive-se823220037fvo

Pride seems to be well regarded, not found a lot about Galaxy as yet.
However, the site above says 70ah batteries, which are new replacements apparently, with a 32 mile range. However, the manufacturer's site says 100ah batteries giving a 26 mile range.

I have emailed to ask how this is the case, of course the reply I've had is can they phone me :rolleyes:

Top Bottom