Which MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Bren

Since I bought my son a Spesh Hotrock for his 8th birthday some months ago, he's become enthused about riding trails and natters me to death pretty much every weekend. I was strictly a roadie until this new turn of events, but I'm really enjoying the MTB. Until now I've made do with begging, borrowing or hiring a bike.

My question then; I've got about 4-500 quid to spend on a decent MTB for myself, and I have no problem buying second-hand. It'll be used for riding reasonably easy trails with my son and harder stuff when I can shake him off. I'm pretty much fixed on a full susser and so far I like the look of the Spesh FSR range, Kona and Giant. Any buying tips, experiences of these bikes or suggestions on something I may have overlooked?

Ta!

Bren

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
A full susser for 4-500 quid is pretty much going to mean you will have to go second hand. New full sussers for that sort of money are rubbish. Sorry if that sounds a bit opinionated, but they are.

The important thing is try to find something that is not only upgradable, but is actually worth upgrading. A good frame is always worth having as are the items that are ludicrously expensive to replace such as forks and rear shocks. Make sure they are at least in serviceable condition as overhauling them can also be expensive.

Finally, check out bikes that are not 'in' with the 'cool crowd'. Marin have always been the Mondeo of mtbs and as such have always been much better than their image would suggest. There was nothing wrong with the old single pivot models and a high end bike from that era would be a fantastic choice that would not be attracting a 'pose premium' on the secondhand market.

Cyclista

Tim Bennet said:
A full susser for 4-500 quid is pretty much going to mean you will have to go second hand. New full sussers for that sort of money are rubbish. Sorry if that sounds a bit opinionated, but they are.

The important thing is try to find something that is not only upgradable, but is actually worth upgrading. A good frame is always worth having as are the items that are ludicrously expensive to replace such as forks and rear shocks. Make sure they are at least in serviceable condition as overhauling them can also be expensive.

Finally, check out bikes that are not 'in' with the 'cool crowd'. Marin have always been the Mondeo of mtbs and as such have always been much better than their image would suggest. There was nothing wrong with the old single pivot models and a high end bike from that era would be a fantastic choice that would not be attracting a 'pose premium' on the secondhand market

Seconded :ohmy:
Also worth checking out the classifieds on the MTB websites (STW Mleh etc) as bargins appear on there from time to time.

stevenb

Don't forget that a full suspension bike weighs quite a bit too.....and hill climbing can be more of a drag too.
Good luck in your search. :ohmy:

barq

I would echo the advice that for the price point you have in mind a reasonably new second hand bike would be a good option. Ebay is worth looking at too - although obviously check the feedback of whoever you are buying from. With ebay you can search by area (say 20 mile radius of your address) which at least means you can go and have a look, test ride etc... You might also find that even if you don't fancy buying off ebay that searching the completed listings will give you an idea of what you can get for the money.

The bikes/brands you mention are all worthy of consideration. It's also that time of year when the 2008 bikes are starting to come out so picking up a 2007 will save you some cash.

I did notice Evans are doing the basic Kikapu for 600 quid, bit more than you wanted to spend but new FS bikes from major brands aren't cheap. The forks aren't amazing, but it's a deore level bike with quite good frame. If you are keen to buy new then it might be worth a thought.

OP
OP
Big Bren

Big Bren

Thanks for your thoughts so far. I had already realised that my budget wouldn't buy me a decent full susser brand new tbh, so have been trawling ebay. I'm watching a few, including a Giant Reign, a Kona Coiler and a few Spesh FSR's. Based on what Tim Bennet said, I'll broaden that to Marin now too.

Off to Evans this weekend to pretend I might buy one from them - a few spins round the car park on all of the above should help me decide!

Bren

barq

You could also look at Gary Fisher and Trek (the former are owned by the latter) while you are in an Evans store. I guess you can check which sizes suit you (may vary by manufacturer as they measure them differently) which might help to exclude unsuitable bikes from your ebay search. Whatever you do on ebay don't get driven to buying the wrong size just because its a bargain.

If you want come back to us with a list of possible options and you may find that people here own them or have experience of them can offer more thoughts.

Happy hunting.

2007/8 full suspension bikes start new at around £900 , decent hardtails around £500.

You take the usual chances with second hand.

Or you could get last years models from Pauls or at least use their prices to knock down your LBS on the old stock they are looking to clear.

Before some one replies thay once got a bad brake block from pauls , im not recommending them just providing an example. !!

So for £500 I'd want something new, for me it would be a 2008 hardtail or a 2005/6 full sus.

Rykard

Veteran
Decathlon had a full suss for 300 that WMB thought was OK 8.1?

Giant NRS are a good entry level FS bike. Even better if you get one second hand. To be honest if you're new to mountain biking I would go with a hardtail. This is because you get more for your money, and also you develop better technique learning on a hardtail first, because they're more difficult to ride on the really rough stuff - this will stand you in good stead for the future.

OP
OP
Big Bren

Big Bren

Thanks for all your help and advice!

I picked up a secondhand Marin Hawk Hill yesterday - it's a cracking bike with some really nice upgrades. The whole thing cost only half my original budget, which is a nice bonus.

Dalby Forest in 2 weeks - got to go find some rough stuff to practice on!

Bren

Top Bottom