Which multi-tool?..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I usually end up having to replace my multi-tool around this time most years as it's got to the point where it's become to rusty & no longer is properly sized, edges of the hex drive are weak etc. Has anyone got a recommendation for a tool that doesn't suffer over winter?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the blue Park Tool ones are as good as any. Just check that the bolts through are tight once in a while.

I had a Crank Brothers tool once. It fell apart.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
You didn't need to tell me the Crank Brothers ones aren't that good *looks at his rusty 19m with a twisted 5mm allen key*

Fiona N

Veteran
Blimey what do you guys do with your multi-tool?:blush:

I've had a Blackburn multitool for more than 15 years (can't remember when exactly I bought it - could have been Evans in Woking in 1990) and a couple of Cranks Bros' for more than 7 years (I like to have several sets of on-road repair kits so there's one on each bike being ridden in any season). All in perfect condition - no rust (but I do give them a once over with WD40 once a year) or damaged tools. I've even got a couple of cheapo ones (Halfords and Poundland) which were bought in emergencies and they do the biz but I wouldn't probably rely on them in the long term.
But then I'm a weak and feeble girly so maybe that's the reason :whistle: - no overtightening etc.

I was gonna say Crank Bros but.......

I reckon they're getting their tool wet because they don't have mudguards :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
oh crackle how could you.

I'm still using a 15 year old cool tool, rust free. Maybe the mudguard things have a use after all.

My Topeak Hexus got a little surface rust but I suppose its how you store it. A couple of years ago I was going across the FRB and hadn't closed my saddle bag :blush: and it bounced out I rescued the main tool but one of the tyre wedges was lost (I didn't fancy a 50m swan dive to recover it :whistle: ). After that I replaced it and the replacement (another Hexus) has been treated better and it has never shown any sign of rust.

U

User482

I have an ancient Crank Bros tool. Very nice quality and rust-free.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
My fixie & hybrid both have 'guards on, my race & TT bikes don't but I don't intentionally take those out when it'll be wet (though I have got caught out on the road bike a few times). The water problem seems to be in fine rain or mist/fog, it gets in the saddle bag & the damage seems to be done.

Top Bottom