Which of these bikes have the best spec...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Boy'o'

Hi all, I have been been using this forum for a little while to get to grips with some basic bike things, and the forum seems to be full, of really helpful, friendly people. As I am a newbie(havent been on a bike for 15 yrs!) and now want/need a new bike.

I have norrowed my search down to 3 bikes, I keep changing my mind, and am so easily swayed everytime I go into my local bike shop! I need to make my mind up out of these 3.
2 of the 3 come with big old chunky mtb tyres that the shop has agreed to swap for smaller, slicker tyres, as that will suit my needs better at the moment.
I am testing them out on the weekend, and I hope 1 shines over the other 2, but it they all feel great, what I really need, is some of you clever folk to tell me which out the 3 has the best spec, just so that I know for sure, as the guys in the shop can tell me anything, and I'm not to know.

The 3 are:
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disc 2013
http://www.formbycycles.co.uk/product/12110/Specialized_Crosstrail_Comp_Disc_Hybrid_Bike
Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2013
http://www.formbycycles.co.uk/product/12424/Specialized_Rockhopper_Comp_Mountain_Bike
Cube Acid 2013
http://www.formbycycles.co.uk/product/12360/Cube_Acid_29er_Mountain_Bike
I hope this isn't too tricky a question, I suppose there must be certain parts on the bike that are more important to be 'quality' and others that don't really matter as much.

I would really appreciate your help, as a newbie I feel completely lost, it's driving me mad! Just the clothes and equipment is enough to think about!

Thankyou in advance.

Tony

Peteaud

Veteran
You have 3 different bikes so go with comfort and how they feel over spec.

The cube is slightly better, and spesh are normally slightly lower spec, but, and its a big but, there is not a lot of difference imo

OP
OP
T

Tony Boy'o'

Thanks for the advice.
I tried the 3 bikes, i have ruled out the Rockhopper, but can't choose between the other two!
I can't believe how much i am thinking about bikes now, it's doing my head in. I feel the Cube is probably the better bike, but being a bit girly, i think the look of the spesh has me won over.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go test ride them - the 29er should be better off road, while the Crosstrail should be better on road

How tall are you - 29ers are much more stretched out as far as I can tell, while the Crosstrail is a more upright hybrid type bike

Where will you be riding? presumably on rougher stuff given your selection?

Peteaud

Veteran
Thanks for the advice.
I tried the 3 bikes, i have ruled out the Rockhopper, but can't choose between the other two!
I can't believe how much i am thinking about bikes now, it's doing my head in. I feel the Cube is probably the better bike, but being a bit girly, i think the look of the spesh has me won over.

Ok do this test.

Look at all the bikes, forget spec etc.

Now, what one do you want, what one stirs the soul?

Thats the one you buy.

Spec / parts can be upgraded anytime

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
They both look like they're essentially just 29ers, but the Crosstrail has a broader range of gears for road/offroad with all round tyres, while the Cube seems much more lower geared with big chunky tyres for off-roading.

As Vickster said, it depends mostly on what you're riding on, roads vs towpaths/bridleways vs proper muddy trails? Assuming you've asked for slicks because you plan to be on the road the vast majority of time, the Crosstrail would make more sense to me, maybe even a Sirrus. Seems strange a bike shop would sell you an offroad bike and then offer to make it better for road use, rather than suggesting a road or 'x-road' type bike. :smile:

Peteaud

Veteran
They both look like they're essentially just 29ers, but the Crosstrail has a broader range of gears for road/offroad with all round tyres, while the Cube seems much more lower geared with big chunky tyres for off-roading.

As Vickster said, it depends mostly on what you're riding on, roads vs towpaths/bridleways vs proper muddy trails? Assuming you've asked for slicks because you plan to be on the road the vast majority of time, the Crosstrail would make more sense to me, maybe even a Sirrus. Seems strange a bike shop would sell you an offroad bike and then offer to make it better for road use, rather than suggesting a road or 'x-road' type bike. :smile:

Agreed
I would have thought cx would be a better bet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Unless he doesn't want drop bars? I had a Crosstrail, comfy enough, but heavy...I rode on roads 95% of the times (albeit rubbish potholey suburban roads), sold it, bought a Sirrus (which I sold and bought a road bike but hey :whistle: )

OP
OP
T

Tony Boy'o'

Thanks all, i am planning to commute to work on it(5 miles'ish) but want something that i can use on rougher surfaces at the weekend, but nothing too savage!
Listening to your advice, the crosstrail is prob best, is that likely to have a more relaxing riding positon over longer rides? My commute will be part road, part canal paths.

Peteaud

Veteran
Thanks all, i am planning to commute to work on it(5 miles'ish) but want something that i can use on rougher surfaces at the weekend, but nothing too savage!
Listening to your advice, the crosstrail is prob best, is that likely to have a more relaxing riding positon over longer rides? My commute will be part road, part canal paths.

What rougher surfaces?

OP
OP
T

Tony Boy'o'

Good question! Near to us we have a few forests, they have different level 'runs' i wouldnt mind trying the whimp run. To be honest, i don't really know, i just don't want it to be only fit for nice roads.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Good question! Near to us we have a few forests, they have different level 'runs' i wouldnt mind trying the whimp run. To be honest, i don't really know, i just don't want it to be only fit for nice roads.
In which case get the Acid. You'll always regret not being able to try that (insert colour) run because you didn't get the right go everywhere bike. The Acid is essentially a trekking bike, and will make a commuter, you just need slick tyres for the week. Oh, and it's lighter and looks nicer.

Peteaud

Veteran

I would go for the crosstrail.

But thats me.

If you want to go and play in the forest, then the cube

Cubist

Still wavin'
Of course the right answer is a CX bike, a hardtail MTB, a Triban 3 and a Brompton. Spend the change on a pair of Aldi shoes and a pair of M520 pedals. ^_^

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
For your commute the Crosstrail sounds more sensible, but for the woods the Cube would probably be a little better, not sure about proper slicks though if the canal path is muddy/slippy and you plan to ride it at speed next to water. I've ridden (and crashed) on a few forest trails on Giant's equivalent (Roam) with my friend on a Crosstrail, even tried a couple of downhill routes too... avoiding the jumps/drops though. ;) I guess either will probably do what you want (with the right tyres), but will shine a little more in different places and you could probably easily change out the differences in the future anyway :smile:

Also worth checking out for mount fittings, racks, guards etc depending on what if anything you might want bolted on.

Just to be more contradictory, I much prefer the looks of the Cube :smile:

Top Bottom