Which one is best for sportives?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Hav nt done the merlin ride but live in the area and know the routes well. Its not too tough good scenery and the roads are nt too bad you d probably enjoy it.

OP
OP
R

road_runner12

I am very much a short legged man with a long torso - very unfortunate! Have sat on a Ridley and it felt good, I'd just seen a few articles on crank length and it seems from others experiences it's a case of whatever feels most comfortable for each person.

Where abouts are you lukesdad?

This will be my first sportive - hoping to get my bike asap and start training for it. Can't wait...

lukesdad

8 miles north of camarthen, and your right cranks are a personal thing .I would suggest that if hilly long sportives are going to be your thing I d go for the shortest you feel comfortable with. Where abouts are you? You mike like to try the Pressili angel or the tour of pembrokshire both good sportives.

OP
OP
R

road_runner12

On the edge of Llanelli. Going to spend all my time training for the Merlin Ride first, then see how I enjoy that before choosing my next challenge.

Don't want to join a cycling club yet as I want to get a reasonable level of fitness first so I don't look out of my depth compared to other experienced riders.

Do you know much about the Ridley Eos? Have looked at the Wilier Escape and Giant Defy 2 as they're in the same price range. Limited information out there on both the Ridley and Wilier.

lukesdad

Bynea are a good club hold a club TT every friday I think in the summer from pembrey to kidwelly and return 10 miler. I think the serious boys go out midweek, so there sunday club run is pretty leisurly Familly orientated club that cater for all levels.

Sorry cant help with those bikes As I ride a litespeed trek cannondale scott and dolan sure someone on here can though. Best regards hope all goes well. Anything I can help you with locally you can always Pm me.

RR12, the Merlin is a fantastic way to start your sportive journey. It's an "honest" sportive in that the various routes cater for all levels of fitness. Don't be tempted to try the "long" route yet though, it is serious! The climb up the Black Mountain is very satisfying when you get to the top, and then the descent is brilliant!

As Lukesdad has said there are a number of clubs in the area, Bynea, being probably the most famous. However, they are nearly completely TT orientated as far as I have been led to believe.

As for bikes, as you're in the Llanelli area I'm presumong you've been to see Peter in county cycles in Cross Hands? If not, I would. Great shop, fantastic advice and service too. And dealers for Wilier, Ridley and Trek.

Hope this helps?

lukesdad

Lardyboy bynea do quite alot besides. They re quite a large club organise tour of carmarthen etc. Try the black mountain climb the other way from Llangadog one of my favourites up cuckoo. You re right forgot about county cycles being a dealer for those, Technically though havn t found them that brilliant.

lukesdad said:
Lardyboy bynea do quite alot besides. They re quite a large club organise tour of carmarthen etc. Try the black mountain climb the other way from Llangadog one of my favourites up cuckoo. You re right forgot about county cycles being a dealer for those, Technically though havn t found them that brilliant.

I'm only speaking from what I've been told by other riders, some of them Bynea members, but I wouldn't want my post to be seen as condemning any club for concentrating on what they do best. County Cycles have always sorted any problem I've had to put their way, but like all problems, it depends on what it entails and what outcome you expect.

As for the climb up Cuckoo, it's a while since I tackled it that way. We rode up last from the Brynamman Side to watch the Welsh hill climb championship round, and let's just say I'm glad I wasn't doing it that day!;)

Fairweather

The Merlin Ride will be a great starter for you. My first sportive was the Tour of Pembroke, and trust me you don't want to do that one as your first!. Having done most of the South Wales sportives I have to say that the Merlin will be the best starter, followed by the short Devil Ride in Crickowell, Tour of Pembroke and the the Dragon Ride. The Daffodil in Pendine is a great early one, but at the end of Feb this year maybe a bit early.

As far as the bikes go, you have to get your leg over them. When I first started looking I tried quite a few out before sitting on the Wilier. After a few minutes tweaking it was like a glove. I bought the Evasion Mirage a few years ago (the £1000 model), and have since bought a Wilier Izoard and the Izoard TT bike and started doing TTs. I have to say that the Ridley looks terrific value for money - was looking at them in County Cycles a couple of weeks ago - very nice indeed. I am about 5'8" - 29 inside leg and have had all medium frames. I rode the large which instantly felt too big, and the small felt like a BMX!. Even though the Wiliers are thought of as more racey frames I have had no trouble comfort wise ever, I guess that it means it's just a good fit.

Go to County and ask Mark or Peter to fit you on a Ridley and Wilier to see how different they feel, then you'll get an idea of what feel you like..... I thought the Giants were horrible and a lot of people love them........... keep us posted........

lukesdad

Fairweather try the angel starting in newport pembrokshire that ones all either up or down. The daffodil from Pendine is a good one to start.

Fairweather

lukesdad said:
Fairweather try the angel starting in newport pembrokshire that ones all either up or down. The daffodil from Pendine is a good one to start.

Probobly do that one this year, missed it last year as we did the Forest of Dean Classic and what a joy that was.............. not!. Let's say it was a challenge hehe.

515mm

Hmmmm...... Yeeeeees. Didn't fancy the Forest of Dean from your description of it last year, FW - the Angel sounds far more civilised.

RoadRunner - the Merlin is a well organised sportive though even the 50 miler is a challenge. Once you're over the Black Mountain it's pretty much all rolling terrain to the finish. Just don't make the mistake I made last year and forget to eat until the bottom of the mountain. :sad:
I was so happy when Lardyboy caught up with me at the 50mile turnpoint....

I shall be entering the 104 mile event this year. See you then.

Oh, County Cycles have always proved very helpful. Choose a dry day to get a test ride and take a box of Jaffa Cakes with you! I have a Wilier Mortirolo, by the way - though that Ridley looks lush mind!

The County boys(and girls) have started their own club - CMC - they road race, time trial and do the sportive thing. A couple of the members are ex-coaches of national squads and so know a thing or two about training. If you need to pick a few brains like.........

Fairweather

Philip Whiteman said:
I have never been disappointed with Giants. I test rode a Wilier and it felt like riding on putty.

Just goes to emphasise the point... get your leg over some bikes to see how different they feel. Oh - and get it from your LBS so they can help with the fit and any teething problems like cable stretch etc. When I was new to riding I would have been stick without them.

Just picked my Izoard up from County after Mark has sorted the brake levers and reset the gears after my elegant dismount, I hadn't noticed that the rear mech had taken a clout as well - glad I took it down for it to be checked over...

Even after I had built my winter hack, I took it down to Mark to check over for me. There were a few things I had not done properly with it that would have proved possibly dangerous but more embarrasing than anything else.
If you have a new bike that developes a problem or needs adjustment and you are not exactly sure how to do it yourself, I have learned to ask a professional first- or take it the shop (as I did yesterday).

RR12 - Let us know when you get your bike. Myself and Lardster usually are to be found on Gower on a Sunday. You are more than welcome to join in.....I live in Gowerton and we normally leave from my gaff.....

Top Bottom