Which press fit BB to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
As far as I can make out, they stopped manufacturing the CAAD8 in around 2015. Things have changed a bit since then.

Glad to hear it but I won’t be buying another Cannondale or another bike with Press Fit. Just got me a Spesh Allez Elite with screw thread BB. Have a look at Hambini for his opinion of press fit BB’s.

Alex321

Veteran
Glad to hear it but I won’t be buying another Cannondale or another bike with Press Fit. Just got me a Spesh Allez Elite with screw thread BB.

Fair enough.

How long did it take before it started creaking with your CAAD8, or was it there all the time?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Anyone who has never had a creaking press fit BB is welcome to come and have a ride on my Cannondale (or should I say Creak’n’Fail) CAAD 8 with a BB30 Press fit. Creaks like hell, I changed the BB bearings and guess what? It still creaks. Avoid, Avoid,Avoid.
That’s because cannondale are rubbish. Hating on a bb30 is like saying one race of humans is better than another. Complete poppycock.

No issues with press-fit bbs on two Ridleys;the Helium had a Wheels manufacturing one with was then replaced with a C-Bear one,Kanzo Adventure(now for sale!) has had two C-Bears but the first was only changed due to a change of cranks(30mm to Shimano hollow tech).

They can be a pain when sorting internal cabling though:rolleyes:

Alex321

Veteran
That’s because cannondale are rubbish. Hating on a bb30 is like saying one race of humans is better than another. Complete poppycock.
I don't think saying generically "Cannondale are rubbish" is much better ^_^

They make a range of bikes from the pretty cheap (with quality to match price) up to world tour level racing bikes.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I don't think saying generically "Cannondale are rubbish" is much better ^_^

They make a range of bikes from the pretty cheap (with quality to match price) up to world tour level racing bikes.
Yes but they have a reputation of defects & a guy was killed when his carbon forks just snapped.
There’s too many BB racists around & BB30’s matter. Take the knee.

I must admit to having given up with BB30 on my 2016 CAADX. They generally lasted about 2-3K miles before creaking.

After the third replacement I gave up and fitted a Rotor 24mm conversion which has been running fine for the last 15k miles.

Svendo

Guru
I must admit to having given up with BB30 on my 2016 CAADX. They generally lasted about 2-3K miles before creaking.

After the third replacement I gave up and fitted a Rotor 24mm conversion which has been running fine for the last 15k miles.
FWIW I have a Cannondale 2014 Supersix evo himod, which is PF30. I had the nylon cups bonded in, which effectively makes it a BB30, and I wanted a Shimano Chainset. First I had a KCNC BB30 to 24mm screw together BB, which had chain line issues, I got a custom laser cut 1mm spacer to make it work. But it still gave up after a few 1000 miles and was replaced with a Rotor BB30 to 24mm converter BB, which went in TIGHT. I had to use a hammer on the BB tool to get the last few turns done 😬. That’s been rock solid since but I dread having to eventually undo it!

Big T

Guru
As far as I can make out, they stopped manufacturing the CAAD8 in around 2015. Things have changed a bit since then.

Well, I was out for a ride yesterday with my mate who has a Giant Defy and that was creaking like an old wooden door too. So are Giant rubbish as well? Or is it just that Press Fit are generally crap?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Well, I was out for a ride yesterday with my mate who has a Giant Defy and that was creaking like an old wooden door too. So are Giant rubbish as well? Or is it just that Press Fit are generally crap?
Giant are awesome just really unlucky. I know loads with giants and press fits who smash big watts 8000 miles a year and pure silence.
It’s like saying I’ve seen a few high profile cases of black men raping women lately in the news so they must do it more than white people. Seriously you need to grow up.

Alex321

Veteran
Neither.

One occurrence doesn't say anything much about either of them.

Top Bottom