Which Pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilf

Hi all,
I have been out lately on my road bike and have had a problem with punctures,once i have put a new inner tube in i cannot get enough psi in with these so called mini pumps,i do not expect to use co2 when out on training rides,what sort of pump is good for actually putting the correct pressure in to carry on with my ride opposed to putting enough pressure in to stop the ride and just get me home. What pumps do club cyclists use while training?do they all use the standard pumps attached to the frame? any info would be gratefully appreciated.

wilf

I just carry a get me home pump (a topeak micro pocket rocket) and that works for me on club/training rides and track pump when I get home. Some folk post about the Topeak road morph's and lazynene pumps with gauges and flexible hoses but tbh I don't think I've ever saw one on a fast club ride.

Rob500

I've found the Topeak Pocket Rocket Master Blaster to be just the ticket when unfortunate enough to have to use it. I was lucky enough :angry: to get a lot of practice with it towards the end of last year. Easy enough to get 80+ in a tyre and with a bit of effort I can put 94-95 psi in.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Lezyne Pressure Drive will get 100psi in.

Even those mini-pumps which can actually get there, will require plenty of effort after 80psi or so.

A pump with a hose is a good idea as it takes stress off the valve, but a built-in guage is a waste of money: they measure the pressure between the pump and valve and not in the tube.

Best to practice at home, so you know how many strokes it takes to get to the required pressure.

peelywally

ive had em all and the only one that met the right balance was co2 ultraflate ,
simplicity itself to use and 120psi effortlessly literally in two presses of trigger .
that said i traded ,
with co2 you waste a small amount semi inflating tyre to find puncture (carry a spare tube )
when you run out of co2 your pushing ,
i carry 3 cartridges one in ultraflate upside down its designed for this ,
if on a tour i wouldnt bother with it and take a decent pump as co2 escapes in about 2 days
but for days cycling its small (fits in a fist ) and easy to use .
i am not on comission btw i just think mini punps are satans idea of a joke , 40mins a thumb red raw holding it over valve and a numb forearm pumping like a texan oil rig to reach 90psi is not my idea of handy or a relaxing days cycling

Top Bottom