Which Raleigh is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GlasgowAli

GlasgowAli

Thanks Gunk! A new lead.
That is probably the closest fit I've seen yet (pump peg on the headtube, brake bridge, twin bottle cage bosses). I'll do some more digging on the technical specifics of that model to see if I can verify it any further...

OP
OP
GlasgowAli

GlasgowAli

Hi all,
Thanks again for your help with ID'ing this 1987 Raleigh (8 months ago!).
I've just starting working on it again. Having (finally) got the BB out, I weighed the bare frame at 2045g. Based on my internet searching that seems to indicate a 531c. There is some evidence of yellow paint inside the headtube, which tallies with a model in the 1987 catalogue.
The fork is a 1990-stamped hi-ten Spinner (770g), so I'll look to replace that.
I've got a 7 speed RSX groupset from 1995 and some Dura-Ace brakes which I plan to put on it. As a child of the 90's I just cannot get on with downtube shifters (how are so many of you old school road riders still alive??).
I know this stuff doesn't "really" matter, but I might sell it in future (I have too many bikes) and I wouldn't want to mislead a buyer.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi all,
Thanks again for your help with ID'ing this 1987 Raleigh (8 months ago!).
I've just starting working on it again. Having (finally) got the BB out, I weighed the bare frame at 2045g. Based on my internet searching that seems to indicate a 531c. There is some evidence of yellow paint inside the headtube, which tallies with a model in the 1987 catalogue.
The fork is a 1990-stamped hi-ten Spinner (770g), so I'll look to replace that.
I've got a 7 speed RSX groupset from 1995 and some Dura-Ace brakes which I plan to put on it. As a child of the 90's I just cannot get on with downtube shifters (how are so many of you old school road riders still alive??).
I know this stuff doesn't "really" matter, but I might sell it in future (I have too many bikes) and I wouldn't want to mislead a buyer.
You can never have too many bikes.:okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm surprised I hadn't noticed this thread before. One of the things I look at to try and identify of mystery bikes is the length of the chainstays and the amount of fresh air between the seat tube and the rear tyre. The possibility of it being a Royal was mentioned, yet the tyre clearance on the OP's mystery bike is fairly small.
If you look at the frame of my 1985 Royal below, there is quite a bit more room, indicating it is a Touring frame with long chainstays, rather that something a little racier:-

Regardless what the OP's frame was originally I think it's safe to assume at least the main tubes are made from 531, or possibly the whole thing. You don't find the Raleigh engraved seatstays on anything that isn't double butted Reynolds tubing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom